Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

New dishwasher needed - recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CraigSu

CraigSu

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:39 AM

Our venerable GE dishwasher that came with our house gave up the ghost a couple of years ago.  While my wife has not requested a new one (and the budget hasn't supported the purchase of one) it's become apparent that she would welcome the chance to not spend her evenings at the sink.

The current unit came with the house when we bought it in 1992 (and it looked old even then!).  It may well be the original unit from when the house was built in 1976.  All that being said, we have not needed to be aware of the evolution of dishwashers until now and we would welcome any recommendations from the Masters of Appliantology here in the forum.

We are not fond of electronics where appliances are concerned.  (We're saving our pennies for a Staber washer when our current one bites the dust, so what does that tell you?)  A lot of fancy features/cycles aren't necessary for dishwashing, we believe, so who makes a good basic dishwasher nowadays and what range should we expect to pay for such a beast?

Thanks,

Craig

Craft is the foundation from which art can grow. - David Ellsworth

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:30 PM

We like our new Whirlpool Gold Tall Tub dishwasher, is really nice,m can fit anything in there  and was around $450.00 or so.  Had it about 1 1/2 years and no problems.  Pegi
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:29 PM

don't have much choice nowadays but bells and whistles.  machines are constucted cheaper,lighter and focus is on energy efficiency and quietness(all of them will seem quiet compared to old g.e.),bsically you will get what you pay for-i was a fan of the older maytag and inglis/whirlpool monsters that would use tons of water and make some noise,but render clean dishes.since appl. manufacturers are legislated to improve efficiency- they are more or less designed to wash dishes wothout water and are VERY installation sensative; that is you must follow installation instructions carefully as shortcuts will lead to dishpan hands and grumpy repair techs like me scolding you for not following them. some of the better performing units are bosch(now somewhat affordable), fisher paykell,and surprisingly- fridgidaire(did i use the "F" word?). shop around a bit if you have time,and review your options.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:36 PM

for what it is worth,i replaced my 8 year old maytag(gave to daughter) 2 years ago,decided i would downsize to an 18 inch model now that i'm all on my own and wanted to be able to wash a full load while still having some dishes left in the cupboard. i chose to go with the danby 18 in model and have been extremely happy with it- stainless steel interior,built in water softener(yes,you have to add salt to it). simple electronic control,reversible pump motor- even has a remote drain tube to allow draining should the pump ever obstruct.  works very well.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 CraigSu

CraigSu

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:17 PM

Your comment about wanting "to be able to wash a full load while still having some dishes left in the cupboard" raises an issue that my wife and I were discussing just the other night.  Does a dishwasher do its best work when it has a full load?  If so, then going with an 18" unit might make more sense for our family.  We only have 1 child and probably don't need to run a 24" dishwasher more than once every 2-3 days.  The thought of dirty dishes piling up in the unit and the food hardening over a couple of days isn't very appealing, however, rinsing dishes before putting them in raises the other dishwasher etiquette question of the day: Do dishwashers actually clean better if the dishes are put in straight from the dining table?

As usual around here, questions lead to more questions...

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

Some common dishwasher myths are dispelled here:

http://fixitnow.com/...-dishwasher.htm

#7 CraigSu

CraigSu

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 03:16 PM

Many thanks for dispelling the myths of dishwashing.  The spousal unit and I actually got to look at some dishwashers this past weekend.  We only managed to get to HH Gregg but got to look at Whirlpool Gold, Bosch, Estate, and a few others not worth mentioning.

Overall we liked one Whirlpool model ($300 on sale) except for one glaring item: the door latch.  It's one of those hidden latches under the top edge of the door.  The amount of finger pressure required to pop the latch and the amount of pressure required to close the door was unacceptable.  Due to some health issues like fibromyalgia and Sjogren's Syndrome my wife doesn't have a great deal of arm/finger strength so this minor issue to some was a biggie for us.  Just to make sure it wasn't isolated to this particular display, I tried all of the Whirlpool and Estate models and found the same issue.  That's one manufacturer we can cross off the list.

Of course, we weren't expecting to purchase one that day, just seeing who had what features we did and didn't like, so it was a success.  They had a Bosch unit that had a visible handle, along with stainless steel everything interior (it seemed) that we really liked.  It appears we're going to have to up the ante to about $500 to get to the level of quality we want, but that's OK.  After all, quality only hurts once.

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

Did you look at the G.E., Hotpoint ones??  They have a lever that is very easy to latch and unlatch.  Easy and smooth............

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#9 CraigSu

CraigSu

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:47 PM

Um, actually, no.  We kind of honed in on your recommendation of the Whirlpool Gold when we went to the store (the Bosch just happened to be in the same display area).  We're planning trips to other stores this weekend so we'll definitely keep our options open and check out GE/Hotpoint as well.  It'll be interesting to see what happens when we wave cash under their noses.

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:58 PM

I was not aware of the latch problems at that time, and the new G.E., H.P. units are an improvement over the old styles. Smooth as silk latching assy, horizontal...

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:38 PM

WOW!!!!, I can't believe what I'm seeing. Pegi, recommending a G.E. product........ Oh No!!!!!!!
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:45 AM

:silly:  I know, I know, but was addressing the latching problem with the poster. If not for the disappearing flapppers in the collection chamber and pump discharge hose, these new Triton ones seem quite fine...perhaps they will get some heavy duty flappers??   sigh....no matter what brand you chose, buy an extended protection plan for as long as they will allow, you WILL NEED THIS...

#13 CraigSu

CraigSu

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:37 PM

Well, the dishwasher search originally planned for this Independence Day weekend has been postponed.  The spousal unit and I found too many other things to occupy our time, such as attempting to uninstall 2 ceiling fans, attempting to install 3 ceiling fans, strip wallpaper in the dining room, measure for a new (metal!) dryer duct, etc.  This is what happens when an honest-to-goodness 3-day weekend comes along to interrupt your normal 7-day work week.

Pegi, while I appreciate you pointing me to GE/Hotpoint as a source of dishwasher with an easy-to-use horizontal latch, I'm afraid the rantings of the Samurai against all things GE (not to mention the class-action lawsuit, see www.bringgoodthingstolife.org) have taken their hold on my dishwasher-buying psyche.  From what I have seen thus far with store visits and Internet research, the Bosch units are in first place.  Time will tell...

By the way, I ordinarily don't even consider the extended warranties when purchasing items, however, in this case with a major appliance involved it seems to be a prudent suggestion.  Thanks for the nudge, we'll be certain to ask about it.

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,800 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:41 PM

I like Bosch dishwashers. They're not perfect by a long shot but they are among the less-bad of the motley crew of dishwasher choices available today. You could have done much worse, Asko or Miele, for example.

You'll be happy with the Bosch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics