Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool washer leaks during spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bubbamill

Bubbamill

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:44 AM

Help!

This is not your basic leak. My three year old wahser has always does this to some extent, but it seems to be getting worse. Here is my problem:

Whirlpool washer. model #LSQ9110LW

When the machine enters the spin cycle, the tub starts spinning at the same time the pump starts draining. If the water level is high and the load is medium sized, then water spills over the edge of the tub as the spin starts. If the load is big enough, then the tub won't spin until some of the water has drained out and all is okay. But with a lighter load, the spin causes the water to ride up and over the side of the tub. This causes water to run down the inside of the cabinet and onto the floor. My drain standpipe is high; right at the maximum of 72 inches. I have tried raising and lowering the standpipe, but it has little effect. The problem seems to be that unless the load is heavy, the spin happens too soon before the water has time to drain. I have used several other washers in this same location over the past 25 years and this is the first one to have this problem. Any ideas??

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:05 PM

Assuming this is your basic Direct Drive washer, this does not make sense.  The washer drains then spins after it is empty.  Even the first DD washers with direct into drain, that drained and spun at the same time never did this.  They changed them to nutral drain around 1985 or so since this took the strain off of the motor and coupler, having them drain first then spin.  Why you are draining and spinning at the same time on a 3 year old W/P washer is beyond me.  But without the model number cannot tell if you have a different system.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Bubbamill

Bubbamill

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:30 PM

Thanks Pegi,

As far as I can tell, it is model #LSQ9110LW.

If I stand next to the washer as soon as it enters the drain cycle, I will immediatly see water running out from under the cabinet. If I quickly open the lid, I can see that the tub is spinning and the water is sloshing over the tub edge. Of course opening the lid stops the cycle and the water falls back down to its normal level. This problem always happens in the perm press cycle and sometimes happens in the regular cycle. I don't know if the cycle has anything to do with it or if it's just that I tend to use a larger heavier load in the regular cycle.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:01 PM

Never heard of this.  This washer should drain, then pause then spin after the washer is empty.  Even if the neutral function was out in the transmission it would still drain and spin the water out at the same time.  It sounds like something is blocking your washer from draining all of the water in 120 secnds.  Start checking where the blockage might be in the hoses, pump areas.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 Bubbamill

Bubbamill

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look. I don't believe there is any blockage based on the flow of water coming from the drain hose. The cycle appears to go from agitate then a brief pause (~1 second) and then the motor starts again and you hear the water start to drain. At the same time you hear the water start to drain, the tub begins to spin. Since the spin and draining appear to start together, there is hardly any time to drain any water before the tub is spinning and forcing the water up and over the tub rim. COuld it be a problem with the timer? Maybe the timer contacts that start the drain action are somehow starting the spin too? It's almost like the time in between the drain and the spin is missing?

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:59 PM

Yes, you should have the 2 second pause at the end of drain to set up the transmission to spin.  However before the neutral transmission the drained and spun at the same time and the water did not go over the top. Wonder if the gasket is missing under the splashguard???  Perhaps you need to replace the timer to get the second pause?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics