Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Washing Machine Model #4025092

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 apprentice_samurai

apprentice_samurai

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:06 PM

Humble greetings.  I hope this message finds you with cold beer in arm's reach.

OK.  So, my Kenmore washing machine has provided loyal service for about 13 years.  However, in what I can only interpret as an act of insubordination, the agitation system has shut down.  Removing the plastic clothes mover, shows that even the transmission shaft will not move.  Either by putting the machine in a spin cycle, or by manually trying to rotate it (using a pair of vice-grips).

My humble guess is that the transmission is locked, and therefore, it is a problem beyond my ability to fix.  And a big enough problem to warrant the purchase of a new washer.

My question is this:  Have I jumped to premature conclusion?

Any suggestions, or comments, in regards to this insolent machine would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

Oh this poor washer, PLease do not try to rotate the agitator shaft with vice grips, the wrath of the Samurai steaming  entrals will cover your house and report you to the Appliance Abuse Hot Line!!!  You will break this transmission that is probably all right.  Now assuming there is 110. before your model number meaning this is a Whirlpool washer, and your washer drained ok, and the motor is running when it will not agitate or spin, you have just broken the coupler between the motor and transmission, such an easy and cheap repair that you will be jumping in the air and giggling in glee!!!!   :bananadance:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 apprentice_samurai

apprentice_samurai

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:47 PM

Thank you Samurai ... it was actually my father-in-law who used the vice-grips.  I shall impale him upon a sharp object for such disregard to the machine's honor.

Indeed, there is a '110' before the Serial number, and yes, the draining of the water is perfect, along with the gentle hum of the motor.

I will go ahead with the new coupler ... indeed, very good news to hear.

This will make my wife very happy, and by extension, make me even happier!!!   :D

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:38 PM

Your washer will be spared from the junk heap and you will promise to never overload the washer again and cause this new coupler to fail..  And never let this washer get a glimps of vice grips in the future unless you want to chase it while it is running down the street in fear of its agitator shaft!!!   :witch:

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:52 AM

Help on repalcing the drive coupler here:

http://fixitnow.com/...acing-drive.htm

#6 apprentice_samurai

apprentice_samurai

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:32 PM

The good news or the bad news, first ???

OK, the good news - I have replaced the coupler between the engine and transmission and the washing machine is agitating !!!

However, and I fear this speaks to my fundamental lack of appliance knowledge, the machine (specifically, the wash basin) has MORE wobble to it than before.

Now, should I be looking solely at levelling the four corners of the washing machine, or is there something I would be missing if I did only that ???

Thanks in advance for your help !!!

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:24 PM

We did not know it had a wobble before, and need to know the exact thing this spin basket is doing, Is the washer going off balance in spin? Is it walking out of the room or staggering like a drunk.  Did you keep it upright while changing the coupler, lay it down, or stand it on its head???  More morbid details please, before I dial 1-800-appliance-abuse.  ;)

#8 apprentice_samurai

apprentice_samurai

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:41 PM

Here are the shocking details:

I took apart the machine with little abuse to the machine.

When trying to put the motor back in place, I was trying to do this with the washer flat on the floor.  After realizing I wasn't going to get the motor back on in this fashion, I tilted the machine assembly to a 45 degree angle.  At this point, the coupler meshed nicely together and I proceeded to clamp things into place.  However, there was a leather sheath between the transmission and motor that did not get put back in place.  (I was so frustrated from trying to put the motor in with the assembly flat on the floor, that when things fell into place at 45 degrees, I became delirious and was re-attaching in a mindless frenzy).

And now that I think of it, I put the coupler on the motor quite easily since the motor was not attached.  The transmission was a bit awkward, and I may not have gotten the coupler onto the shaft as deep as the coupler component was on the motor.  (Does that make sense?)

I fear I have been weak, and may need to approach the washer for forgiveness.  If this is so, is it disrespectful to tilt the assembly to a 45 degree angle to re-attach the motor.

Now that I've done it once, I think I can do it correctly the next time.  My only regret is that I didn't get to try this on my father-in-law's washing machine first.

Thanks in advance for your input.

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:01 PM

This motor is heavy, I have a hard time putting it back into place with it upright.  So since I have room in my shop, after I remove the case I do lay the washer on its back on a matt to pull the pump and motor and replace the coupler.  That way I can just line up the 6 coupler prongs into the 6 holes and the 4 rubber motor mountings into the transmission plate with ease, then clip them all back together.  Not sure what might move out of place at a 45 degree angle.  The brown slide pads might have gotten broken or damaged.  Do not know what this "leather sheath" is that you are talking about between the motor and transnission.  Think you might want to recheck your coupler/rubber assy. to see if the 6 prongs are in the 6 holes and all 4 rubber motor mounts are in the 4 holes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics