Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

gas meter install

Brew Man

Hey,

I'm working on my house trying to move in and as fate would have it, one always has to run into a few gliches. Here is the problem.southwest gas corporation has informed me that the only way they will put in a gas meter for my house is ( on my property).Most of the gas meters around are on the outside of the property lines of the home owner.SWG says it had to much trouble with people running into them that this is the only way they will install them now.The thing is that they want to bring the gas line and meter into my property but they want to charge me for bringing it in the extra distance. And to top it off,if the meter was to get hit or damaged,I would be held liable for damages. i don't know but it sounds abit communistic to force a person to let them install a meter on there land and then charge them for doing it. If there is anyone with any knowledge or experience in this area,or knows of someone who might be able to assist me with this problem I would be very greatful. Another thing is the distance they bring it in will be extra money for them when they could istall it on the outside of the property line and i could save myself some money.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up here in Ontario the gas utility installs and maintains every meter and there is no direct charge for this service but I am sure a little of it is hidden somewhere in each bill.  In fact if you even tamper with their equipment you're in trouble.  They will pick the best spot which is usually within a few feet from the building it supplies.  I have never seen a meter stuck on the edge of a property before.  It is in their best interest to supply you with a meter at no charge because you will be buying their gas.  Thats like the hydro company charging you for the pole in front of your house.  Sorry I could not have been more help.

Hey,

This is just an update,So far i have e=mailed the Southwest corporate office only to be redirected to my local office.And they tell me that if I want to have service i will have to allow them to put the meter on my property.That is the only way they will do it.So my next step is to contact the State Utility Commission.As far as my neighbors meters, they are not having them moved or replaced.This seems to do with a change in the way Southwest gas corporation now places it's meters.They say that if they are replacing one because it is bad then they can put it back in the same place.This is because they considered it grandfathered in.I had requested that my meter be removed because it was in the way of my construction. so now they say that they have to put it in my property.To me it sounds like a monopoly.Making someone do something out of neccesity and then charging them to do it.You see this is the only gas company in my area. i do have one thing on my side.I know that nothing stays the same forever:PHa!Ha1Ha!

Here in Michigan all of the gas meters are located at the house. You pay a connection fee of $200 which typically covers the first 150 feet or so from the main line at the road. The utility company maintains the meter and piping up to the meter from then on. The meter is less likely to be damaged at the house than the road for obvious reasons and the distance of gas piping you install is less.

Utility companies are required to meet public service commission regulations, some self imposed and some for public safety. Once a gas meter or service line is modified due to damages, construction, or customer request it must be brought up to the current standard or code at that time. Just like some cities mandate that electric wiring in a home must meet current codes prior to selling.

The State Utility Commission will support those regulations submitted by your utility company and approved by the Commission. The Commission consists of members appointed by your Governor.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. i know they want to put it on my property to protect it but to turn around and charge me for the extra footage is what upsets me.I own the trailer and land next to the house I'm trying to work on and to bring the line down from the trailer and into my property, they want to charge me 800.00.The other line that they will run the line down from is in front of the trailer.It's less than twentyfive feet.

Archived