Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 70 Series washer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stephturner

stephturner

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:51 PM

Machine has slowly had issues for example, clothes need to spin once more to drain all the water out. Hoped it was the belt. Past couple of weeks, washer has stopped at rinse and spin with heavy loads. Lightened the load and machine would finish the cycle. Replaced the belt today. Machine will either spin or run a load to rinse and spin, then it stops. If I wait a bit, I can finish the cycle. Something is getting overheated or burning out I'm guessing. The washer is older and I'd like to narrow down potential cost. What can I expect it to be so I can get estimates on repairs? P.S. Been enjoying everyone's humor in comments relating to their machines...as if they were alive. :P

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

Assume this is an old belt driven washer.  It cannot spin with water in it so not sure if you have one problem or two.  Is it draining all of the way before it spins?  If it does your clutch pads may be worn and would need the clutch plate replaced in the backet drive assy located above the transmission. If it is not draining all of the way frist you may have a pump  going bad.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 stephturner

stephturner

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:33 AM

I remembered a little while ago it would sound an alarm before it stopped...like the load was off balance. I would pull a couple of things out and it would run fine. Now it doesn't sound an alarm, just stops. I go turn it off, let it rest and then turn it back on to finish the load. The machine makes a grinding/purring sound during spin cycle. It always stops now when the washer is full of water ready to drain and spin. Just shuts off, but I hear the timer buzzing. I give it a few and turn the timer to the next step to finish the cycle...

#4 stephturner

stephturner

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:36 AM

It is belt driven, and I also remembered that in the beginning the issue was during spin cycle so I thought it was the belt (which we replaced), but now it's stops when the tub is full the second before spin...

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:54 AM

Without a model number we cannot be sure what style this is but if it is just a regular belt driven washer this washer HAS TO DRAIN BEFORE IT CAN SPIN..It cannot spin with a tub full of water.  Sounds like you have a no drain problem, check for kinked hoses or see if the bearings on the pump are out or something might be in the pump.  This is bolted to the transmission and you would have had to route the new belt around this pump pulley on the right side facing the washer from the rear.  Also make sure you routed the belt around the outside of the pump pulley, not on the inside of the pulley.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#6 stephturner

stephturner

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:33 PM

Sorry...it drains fine...it will make thumping noises during spin just before rinse and spin. Or the tub will rinse and then shut down before draining. I figured out that if I stop it anywhere halfway through a cycle to let it rest, I can restart and finish the entire cycle. Model number 82374800...I'm guessing the motor is getting tired because that's the most expensive part.

#7 stephturner

stephturner

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:25 AM

One response was that it was the Drain pump...about $40. Another response is to check for oil leak from transmission. There are three quarter size drips on floor. Machine is worse now. Acts off balance and there's a buzzer sound off when it stops working. I can still get it to run if I let it rest. I want to fix it before it shuts down all together. I watched through back panel while it ran and the grinding noise comes from the encased area on the front to the left. I want to get a new machine but if this is save-able it would be much cheaper.

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:43 AM

Watch the cam bars on top of the transmission while it is agitating or spinning from the rear of the washer.  There is a butterfly clamp that holds these bars down behind the transmission.  If that black clamp broke or the bolt came loose these cam bars will jump up and down, causing a thumping noise  and  it will not spin since it cannot shift the backet drive down into spin.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics