Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KENMORE FRONT LOAD WASHING Cycle Not Advancing or Timer Stalling

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GSQ

GSQ

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:58 PM

I have a Kenmore front load washing machine purchased in 2000--Model number 970.c40042-00 purchased in Canada from Sears.

This week I replaced the entire drum unit as I blew the rear bearing. I was lucky as I got the inside basket and the other shells as one unit.

Even before I did this repair I noticed that my washing cycles were off. I would get stuck in the first rinse cycle and it would not take the final spin cycle. My workaround on this was to press in the timer and advance it one click and pull on it so it could resume the cycle again.

I just purchased a remanufactured timer for the machine today and installed it and I noticed that the problem is worse. I can start the wash and it will do its initial wash but after that I keep getting stick on the first rinse and almost every cycle after that.

Anyway I am wondering now if it's the control board that I need to replace. It looks clean, etc so I don't know if that is the problem.

Does anyone have any diagnostics instructions for me on this? Can I use my ohms meter to figure if the computer is sending the right signal to my timer unit?

What is interesting about this is if I can't get the final spin cycle to complete itself I just stop the machine for about an hour and try the spin cycle again and it works.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,022 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:55 AM

If the control board were bad, the washer wouldn't spin.  Cycle distortions, such as you've described, are caused by a bad timer.  If the cold water side of the inlet valve is plugged with sediment, it can cause long runs in the cycle.  If the cold water flow is good, then you need to replace the timer with a new one.

#3 GSQ

GSQ

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:26 AM

Checked the cold water supply and it is OK. I have been hearing that the spin control board assembly Part Number 134306000 has been updated since I purchased my machine in 2000 as the old board were prone to lockup due to electrical noise.

Can anyone confirm for me if this is likely the case ? I already have a new timer installed. Would foil tape on the wires help to reduce the electrical noise ?

#4 GSQ

GSQ

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

Because I have been reading on the net that the spin control board assembly (Part Number 134306000) is prone to lock up because of electrical noise I decided to try something using my experience with amateur radio interference issues to see if that would work. I have also read that the spin control board assembly has been updated since my purchase to compensate for this.

Basically I took the spin control board assembly out and taped aluminum foil tape over the top of the plastic cover and reinstalled the unit. I have now watched a complete cycle go through with no stalling at all.

I think I fixed my timer, cycle stall issue and I did not need to spend $200 bucks Canadian for a new board.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,022 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

[user=1462]GSQ[/user] wrote:

Basically I took the spin control board assembly out and taped aluminum foil tape over the top of the plastic cover and reinstalled the unit. I have now watched a complete cycle go through with no stalling at all.

I think I fixed my timer, cycle stall issue and I did not need to spend $200 bucks Canadian for a new board.

More likely, you had a bad connection that was inadvertently restored when you disconnected and re-connected the wire harness from the board.  ;)

#6 GSQ

GSQ

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:54 AM

Sorry everyone I tried to rig this thing so I did not have to purchase a new control board but it did not work. Some loads went but many got stuck. This issue has been the subject of a service advisory and only by replacing it with a new computer will this problem get fixed. I noticed that the updated control board has extra shelding to protect it from electrical noise.

For more information on the electrical noise problem visit: http://www.appliance...sher.html#board

Forgive me Exalted Grand Master as my pride got in the way of the solution to this problem.

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:34 AM

I would also get a surge protecter and noise filter for the machine.Treat it like a computer or expensive electronic item( which it is). Could save some real money by spending 40-50 bucks.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics