Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Screamed, Smoked now won't spin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Budman

Budman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

Washing machine made loud squeaking sound then smells of smoke.  The tub does not appear to be spinning anymore.  I opened up the front panel and all of the balancing springs are in tact.

I checked the belts underneath.  Both belts are in tact and were spinning when I set the machine to the spin cycle.  I am able to move the belts freely both ways without any resistance at all.

When the machine was supposed to be spinning the tub, I noticed that the motor housing does slide back and forth on the rocker, but the inner tub does not spin.

I can turn the transmission housing by hand (with a great deal of force needed) which does turn the inner tub.

Can anyone help?

Thanks - Budman.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:56 PM

sounds like your brake may be dry- its been quite some time since i dealt with one of these beauties,but i recall laying the machine on it's back,removing thecentre(large) pulley by taking out 1 phillips head screw and a small tongue shaped reatiner- brake is the large dome shaped aluminum piece and has an inner and outer part- squirt a little zoom spout oil(20 w non-detergent) in between the 2 pieces so it runs down inside,and rotate it with your hand- repeat this a couple times till it turns freely(1 direction,don't remember which). memory is good,just doesn't last long.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Budman

Budman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:46 PM

Kdog,

Thanks for your reply - I will give it a try.

Budman.

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:18 AM

Also, inspect at top of transmission, where it enters into the bottom of the outer tub. Do you see any signs of leakage around that center seal/bearing area, If so, a bad seal has caused the spin bearing/bushing to freeze up.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:49 AM

Open the lid and feel all round the top of the inner basket and tub.  Reach as deep as you can.  You may find a wad of socks or a hand towl stuck up there.  This can seize the tub and make cause the belts to burn on the pulleys. 

Or, could be a rusted tub bearing from a leaky tub seal.

#6 Budman

Budman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:34 PM

O.K.  I have done the suggested things.  There was nothing lodged inbetween the inner & outer tub.  I took the top off and checked with a flashlight.  I then cleaned the triangular seal and replaced the top.

I removed the belts and then worked the lubricant into the upper and lower parts of the transmission hub.  I took off the belt housing unit and found the bearing still with plenty of grease and spinning well.  After 30 minutes of labor, the tub now spins freely by hand.

However, when I put everything back together, the spin cycle does not spin as fast as it should and the soap does not come out of the clothes as it should.  At the final rinse and spin cycle, because of the slower speed, the clothes are still very wet.

Grasshopper now knows his way around his Maytag, but I am very exasperated!  Thinking of setting the 28 year old machine out to pasture unless appliantologists can offer more pearls of wisdom!

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:20 PM

Now I'm thinking restricted drain.  Fill the tub and put the washer into spin.  Lift the drain hose enough so you can lay eyeballs on the discharge stream.  Should be the same diameter as the drain hose, full and strong.  If anything less, then they's some panties where they ain't awwta be.  :toiletgrab:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics