Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore dryer trips breaker after a few minutes, heat only....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 larjerr

larjerr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:57 AM

My dryer has started tripping the breaker after about 5 minutes into drying on heat cycle.  On Air dry it'll run all day.  I've resorted to switching back and forth between the two to keep it running, but if I leave it on timed heat cycle it'll trip every time. What should I be checking?  I read here it could be a flaky circuit breaker, which wouldn't be a big deal to replace but I suspect it might be some part of the heating circuit, just not sure what part. I checked out a few parts that had values given for ohmmeter readings, which were good except the resistance was a little out of spec for the resistor i replaced awhile back with a new part #(the one beside the push to start switch)  I also read here that it could be the motor, but I'm not so sure about that either since it'll run all day without heating circuit on. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I notice this dryer has reached its "half-life", but  it is really in good shape. What about the high limit switch? Should I be checking that, and how?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:19 AM

switches will not cause overcurrents,only loads will(motor,heating element etc)-the best way to solve this is to clamp an ammeter on to the red,or black wire of the dryer and run it-if it operates under 30 amps,but trips the breaker it is the breaker that has failed,not the dryer. chances are good that if something within the dryer has failed,it woul trip immediately,not after several minutes use. this has all the earmarks of a cicuit breaker gone weak.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 larjerr

larjerr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:57 AM

Ok, I'll just go to Lowes and buy a breaker, if it still does it, I'll find an ammeter. Thanks for your help!

#4 dje123

dje123

IkkĊ-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

[user=637]kdog[/user] wrote:

switches will not cause overcurrents,only loads will(motor,heating element etc)-the best way to solve this is to clamp an ammeter on to the red,or black wire of the dryer and run it-if it operates under 30 amps,but trips the breaker it is the breaker that has failed,not the dryer. chances are good that if something within the dryer has failed,it woul trip immediately,not after several minutes use. this has all the earmarks of a cicuit breaker gone weak.

right  on  brother  excellent  advice!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics