Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool top load washers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 That Guy

That Guy

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:25 AM

Anybody else sick and tired of having to pull a washer out so you can back the two screws out to get the control panel open? How many times have you lost one screw or had trouble getting the screws out far enough to open the control panel? What the heck happened at Whirlpool? Did one of the retarded designers think it would look better if they put the screws on the back? Or were they trying to make it harder for customers to get the control panel open? Anyway you cut it, its just stupid. There wasn't anything wrong with having the screws on the front and it made my job a lot easier.

My shoulders are about worn out and Friday I had a washer full of water under a cabinet, so I had to pull like crazy to get that heavy piece of work out far enough to get to the screws. I was not happy. If I could have gotten my hands on the genius who put the screws on the back, I would have made adjustments to his spine.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Lurker__*

Lurker__*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

Usually you can get to the drain hose and let it siphn out. I don't have one but should go to Family Dollar and buy an el-cheapo siphn hose.

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

That guy, don't you carry a wet/dry vac or a portable electric pump to drain washers so you don't have to move a washer full of water?
Scott Wolf

#4 That Guy

That Guy

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

That's not really what this is about. I have a wet vac and  I can dip the water out, but this is a pretty fancy house and there is no drain or sink in the room with the washer and dryer (it was actually a top of the line Kitchenaid), so I would have had to haul the water to another room over really nice wood flooring and carpet.

What makes me mad is the changes for the sake of appearances. Putting the screws on the back, makes the control panel look "cleaner". It also makes the washer harder to work on in many of the situations that I find myself in. I'm just saying that I liked it much better when they were on the front. I like the Kenmore ones that still have the screws on the front, they are just covered by those trim pieces, the ones I'm always afraid of breaking when I remove them.

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 11 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

I hear that, I can't agree with you more. It's all about looks nowadays. Heaven forbid screws should be visible.
Scott Wolf

#6 Lurker__*

Lurker__*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:39 AM

These are the kind of jobs I might walk away from, just too easy to get an insurance claim over a scratch in the floor. Either that or just charge more for extra labor and freak out expense. Still a good job for a pump to push water down the drain IF you can get at it.
 Also you might get extra money by selling stainless steel inlet hoses or a flood stop system. Good candidate for it!

#7 Brew Man

Brew Man

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:08 AM

Hey,

I get a water hose and put it in the tub,have my son(or customer) turn on the water and let it run until it bubbles.When this happens I have my son or customer crimp other end of hose.Disconnect the hose from the spicot and lay it down to let it drain.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics