Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Gearcase grease

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:34 AM

The thrust plug on my whirlpool washing machine was leaking grease.  I replaced it.  Hopefully everything went back together correctly.  However, I have no idea what kind of grease goes back into the gearcase.  Dose anybody know what kind and where to get it?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:55 AM

what is a "thrust plug"???  leaking grease???  describe this transmission in more detail and also the grease found and where you found it.  the transmissions are oil filled and it only appears as grease once contaminated by water leakage from above.  if you are refilling with oil,use heavy non-detergent oil only. i recommend "lucas oil treatment" (avail at automotive stores) truly an amazing lubricant.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:02 AM

Thrust plug is where the drive axel comes out of the gearcase and then links up with the motor.  The plug seals the grease/oil in hte gearcase.  I took apart the gearcase, cleaned everything and put it back together.  I have the sealant for the gearcase but I cant find anywhere on hte internet, sears, or parts finders for the recommended grease to be used in the gearcase.  I was at a autmotive store but there were too many to choose the right one if there is a right one.  So I thought Id check out other people's opinion on what the right kind to use is.  IF it helps, its a whirlpool washer LXR7244JQ1.  I hope someone can tell me the type of grease to use.

#4 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:21 AM

Here's a picture of the schematic Ive been going from.  Hopefully it sheds some light on what Im talking about.  I rplaced part #21 (thrust plug).  Maybe its called something else I dont know of.  I have teh tube of sealant to close it back up.  But I dont have the grease that goes inside. Any ideas or would any gear grease work?

Attached Files

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 10:48 AM

ah yes, you've replaced the seal on the input shaft- use the lucas oil treatment as i mentioned before- comes in a quart container,is very heavy,but works ideal as it has amazing clinging/lubricating qualities.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for your help....hopefully you check this one last time.

I got the Lucas oil treatment.  I am assuming that I use it straight.  No other oil or grease.  Just fill up the bottom half of the gearcase and seal on the top?

Also, do you know how long to let the seal dry before the machine can be used?  Does it need 24 hours or is it good is a few?

Thanks again for your help.

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

i think i'd probably try to wait at least 4-5 hours,or overnight if you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics