Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How does a dishwasher timer work with respect to the fill valve?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 jeoff

jeoff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:03 PM

My cheapo-provided-by-the-builder GE dishwasher that is 6 years old seems to be having a low-fill issue. My understanding is that the water level should be just underneath or at the level of the heating element. I am assuming this means the horizontal portion that is used to heat and not just where it actually rises up out of the base, which is where my level actually is. Is that a correct assumption?

I have determined using my multimeter and experimentally that the float switch working. I have bypassed the door switch and visually determined that the fill valve seems to be delivering water into the machine just fine. Once the machine is 'filled', I have determined that I need to manually lift the float switch another 1/2" or so before it clicks and would cut off the fill valve.

I am not sure what else to check and had a question about how the timer and float switch work together. Does the timer actually turn the fill valve on only for a period long enough to fill the machine? Or, does it actually provide power to the fill valve the entire time it is in certain cycles and the float switch cuts it off preventing an overfill?

What else can I check? Can you answer my questions above?

Any help would be appreciated,
Jeoff

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jeoff

jeoff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:05 PM

More info. I was able to turn the timer knob until I could hear the fill valve open and start allowing water in. It didn't stay 'on' very long. By grabbing the knob and putting counterclockwise pressure on it I was able to get the valve to stay on longer and ultimately fill the machine. However, once the first cycle drained and refilled, it was low again.

Does this mean my timer is bad?

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:25 PM

The dishwasher is time till.  How much water enters is how much enters thru the fill valve in that time.  The float switch is a safety flood switch and only comes into play if too much water enters and it cuts the power to the fill valve.  The water should never activate the float switch if the unit is running normally.  If you are not getting enough water you either have a fill valve going bad or you do not have enoug water pressure to the valve for proper fill.  This will happen on any dishwasher reguardless of the brand.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 jeoff

jeoff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the response. I will remove my fill valve and check it for obstructions. It does seem to be working when it is supposed to.

However, the amount of time it is being enabled by the timer does not seem like enough given the output I am seeing from the valve. It would need to be streaming out much more to fill the machine in the amount of time it is given.

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:48 PM

Find the tech sheet, usually behind the toe panel in an envelope on the right side of the d/w, it will tell you how many seconds, perhaps 20 or 30 or 40.  Then time the fill.  Usually a low fill problem is a bad fill valve.  The rubber flow washer swells up not getting enough water thru like it should.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 jeoff

jeoff

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:43 PM

Just saw the last post and I cannot find a tech sheet behind my kick panel or underneath. I measured the fill cycle and it is approximately 45 seconds.

I had gone ahead and removed the fill valve and disassembled it and cleaned it a little with some CLR. Nothing looked wrong, but I do not know what that flow washer is supposed to look like. Is a picture available?

Cleaning the fill valve made no difference in the problem. See attached photo.

Should I purchase a new fill valve or can I just purchase the washer?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics