Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn Air Refrigerator Despair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blopster

Blopster

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:35 PM

My 3 year old Jenn Air JCB 2389 GRS (expensive counter depth stainless steel model) made frying noises from the Adaptive Control Board area and lost cooling entirely.  So I had the repair guy in and $300 later, had a new adaptive control board, defrost thermostat and heater.  Afterwards, freezer works great, can get colder than 0 but fridge never gets colder than 42-44, just slightly warmer than you'd like, no matter what the combination of freezer and fridge controls.  The repair guy doesn't know what to do and suggests its a weak compressor but says I'll have to get the warranty service or else I might have to pay for it.  Call the warranty guy, he says its not the compressor if the freezer is cold enough.  So I do a little reading and replace the temperature control and auto damper with new ones on my own, very easy, I should have done the rest of it too.  That didn't fix it eiether.  I still can't get the fridge any cooler than 40 even with the damper permantly wedged open with a plastic fork.  Cold air does enter through the damper, I can't say wether its as strong as it should be or not,  and there is plenty of swirling cold air from time to time in the freezer.

I'm thinking: (a) replace the evaporator fan motor, (b) adjust the temperature control (it did have a little knob that said "colder"), © never buy Jenn Air again OF COURSE.  My butt already hurts from kicking myself for over a month on this problem - I want a cold 35 fridge!

Any wisdom you may share on this problem will be well taken.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:27 PM

I would remove the back wall of the inside of the freezer and look at the frost pattern on the evaporator. It should be a very tiny thing and very even on all the tubes. If you see a lot of frost on the whole thing or a ball of ice on one particualr spot this will cause air flow and also cooling problems.
Remember that all your coldness comes from the freezer. It just blows a small amount of that cold air into the refigerator side. So if the freezer is zero degrees and there is no air flow blockage from frost or ice and the baffle is open, the frig side has to get cold.
Thats the first thing just to look at. Let me know.

It should not look like this. http://groups.msn.co...PhotoID=550This is way too much frost. It would be almost un-noticable, very thin but your wet finger would stick to one of the coils if touched.
Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:08 PM

Be sure you have return air flow from the food compartment to the freezer, make sure the retrun air vent is not blocked/
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,022 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

Definitely an air flow problem.  Been seeing this alot on the Maytag-built side-by-sides (like your Jenn Air).  Click the picture below for the solution.

[align=center]Posted Image[/align]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics