Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool gas dryer presure regulator leak limiter vent cap color

grizzly

Yesterday I acquired a used Whirlpool gas dryer (model: LGR8858EQ3) for my continuing appliance repair home self study program. I noticed that the cap on the leak limiter is painted blue. Does this mean that it has been converted to run on LP?

If so, is there a way to order just the cap to convert it back to natural gas?

Finally, do you just use regular TFE pipe thread paste when installing this cap?

Thanks!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured out the answer to the previous question, but now I have a new one. Turns out, the part I thought was the cap on pressure the leak limiter wasn't really what I thought it was. I figured out that the leak limiter cap is actually the brass cap with a flat blade screw driver slot in it. And mine has NOT been converted to LP, it is just a cap, with no rod in it. But the question now becomes, what is the silver cap with blue paint on it called, and what is it used for?

Picture of regulator attached.

post-19408-129045095145_thumb.jpg

It is called a pipe plug (1/8" NPT). I am not sure why you'd ever want to remove the plug, probably has to be there as part of the mfg process. I always use the pipe thread sealant "real-tuff" by Hercules but you can use any pipe thread sealant or even tape if you like.

Thanks AccApp!

The reason I had it off is cuz at first I thought it was the leak limiter cap. But, as soon as I got it off and shined a flashlifght in the hole, I didn't see an adjustement screw in there like the Whirlpool manual shows. Right about then, I realized the brass cap on the other side was acutally the leak limiter cap. So I took the brass screw off, and sure enough there was an adjustement screw in there that you you can adjust the pressure diaphram with. The stuff on the threads is orangish and looks like that heavy duty thread lock stuff that is usually blue that you see on a lot of automotive applications. I ended up just reusing the orange stuff that was already on it and it sealed up REAL tight.

I bought this old machine yesterday to advance my self studies into the realm of gas dryers. Never had actually used one before and just wanted to figure out how the igniter, burner, coils, heat detector and all those fancy doo-dads work together.

[user=9503]AccApp[/user] wrote:

I am not sure why you'd ever want to remove the plug, probably has to be there as part of the mfg process.

The reason it is there is to be used as a pressure tap to check your gas pressure after the regulator.

Archived