Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fantastic wiring job!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Northern-Tech

Northern-Tech

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

Something I thought I should contribute. A few years back,  I had a call to check some lighting problems...dimming lights, some not working, etc. ( A local handyman had been in there previously......hmmmm ). Anyway first problem was kitchen lights would dim, when other lights turned on. No problem there....found some loose connections in j. box. Tightened up and fine there. Now, comes the fun part...customer says I have a switch at the top of the stairs, and at the bottom of the stairs, but they wont turn on the light, located on the side wall. Tried both and sure enough, neither worked. I was getting ready to start testing, but then the customer says the only way I can get them to work is to use a drill, in this receptacle. ( located just under the switch. ) I said what ?? Watch this he says........he proceeds to plug in a drill, and as he increased the speed of the drill, the light came on to full brightness! As the drill slowed, the light dimmed. I though to myself, thats pretty neat....but not really functional. Obviously they had the armature wired in series with the light. I removed all connections and started from scratch.......and yes, the switches work now.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 That Guy

That Guy

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:45 PM

That's a pretty neat one. I don't know how many houses I have been in with lots of code violations. Electrical boxes with no covers and wires sticking out. Light switches sticking out of the wall and people using them too. Aluminum wiring that arcs inside the walls and you can see it arc!.

But the strangest one I have seen lately is a house I just worked in. They said it was built in the 20's and they have lived in it since the 50's. I went downstairs to shut the power off to the range and I found the 1920's again. Knife switches and open fuse holders. Tube and loom wiring all exposed. The scary part was pulling the handle on the triple knife switch that handles the main power for the house and knowing when I was done with the range, I would have to push it back to on and watch it spark.

Baron Von Frankenstein would be proud of me! "Throw the switch Igor!" ;)

#3 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

Last summer I was negotiating a contract with the father of my friend... he has bought an old house and asked if I will do him some wiring. OK, went to look at the place, just to see that the connection to the house is single phase, with the main switch, j-box and meter out in a wooden cabinet on the side of the pole, barely accessible without a ladder. So far one circuit has been wired to the house, been like that for the sixty-some years the house had any power. It is for a couple outlets and lights, and you have to get out of the house to change the fuse... OTOH it is just a summer house, has been mostly unoccupied for winters, hence little need for power. Anyway, this guy is planning on renovating it to be habitable around the year.

The j-box is rusted almost through, it has a large knife switch, the 20A main fuse, and 10A sub fuse... the meter is also ancient and all the metal sheet parts feel like crispbread...

I told the man he should have the power company wire him a new switch, box and meter inside the house, with 3 phases for that size of house, and ONLY THEN will I consider doing "some wiring"... I'm not doing ANYTHING involving tinkering with that box, and there's little I can do inside the house, that hasn't already been done, with a single phase 10A circuit.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics