Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Atlantis Fill, Agitate, Drain, But No Spin After Moving

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 netsatwork

netsatwork

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:48 PM

Neat forum!  I hope you guys can help.  I just moved into a new house and moved my Maytag Atlantis MAV6200AWW washer into the basement.  After washing a load of laundry the clothes are still soaked and it looks like the washer isn't spinning.  I read through the forum some, but haven't found an answer.  It will fill, agitate, and drain, but not spin.  It's about four years old.  Is there a part that is common to check after moving for a problem like this?  Thanks for your help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:13 PM

might have somehow jarred the large pulley on the bottom and damaged it-tip the machine and turn the pulley both directions and see what occurs.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

Does the motor even try to run during spin?  Remove the front panel and listen for the motor hum when you energize the spin cycle.

#4 netsatwork

netsatwork

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:44 PM

I cannot see how to remove the front panel of the washer, there are no screws that I can see.  However, I tipped it over and the belt is still on the pulley.  I pulled the belt and it seems to move ok, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.  I can't really tell if the motor is trying to work either.  I seems to make the same amount of noise it did when it was working correctly, just no spinning.  Sorry I can't give better descriptions.  If you have specific things to try, please let me know.  I'm a novice at washers.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:01 PM

Use a stiff putty knife and flashlight.  Look in the top seam of the front panel for two clips, push 'em in with your putty knife to pop the hood.  There are two, black  5/16" hex screws inside connecting the front panel to rest of the cabinet.  Remove with a magnetic hex drive.  Front panel tilts out, up, and off.  You'll see this:

Posted Image

#6 netsatwork

netsatwork

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 04:34 PM

OK.  I took the front panel off.  Thanks for the image.  The motor is running and the drain pump is running.  It seems to not be able to get all the water out of the tubing even though the pump is running.  Is this normal?  There seems be a lot of play in the motor as well and I wasn't sure if this is normal either.  I cannot manually move the inner tub also.  Thanks!

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:25 AM

You may have something stuck in the pump's suction hose.  Put some water in the tub then advance the timer to spin.  Lift the drain hose enough to get some eyeballs on the discharge stream-- should be full and strong.  If not, then you have a blockage somewhere. 

#8 netsatwork

netsatwork

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I checked the water flow and it is strong.  There does not seem to be a problem with the pump.  Please let me know if you have any other ideas.  Thanks again!

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:15 PM

Ok, let's summarize:

- motor runs
- pump runs
- drain flow is good

This can only mean the transmission is seized. Check the belt, too-- wouldn't be surprised if it was burnt since it is apparently being dragged across a stationary tansmission pulley.

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:09 AM

No, Samurai, a seized transmission, (spin bearings seized or brake not releasing), will not burn up the belt because the torque of the motor will over come the clutch spring letting the transmission pulley just turn without turning the transmission.

Take a look at this disscussion and the link that is in the first post for some help with your problem: CLICK HERE
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics