Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Does any one have any thoughts on Mr. Appliance?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bimbbobway

bimbbobway

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:49 PM

I am interested in purchasing a Mr. Appliance franchise. Does any one have any thoughts on Mr. Appliance?  Good, Bad, Or Other?
www.mrappliance.com/wilmington

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

Great way to get work. dont like answering to someone else. 24-7 service = bad rep for tech. but thats just what I got from their brochure, and I had quite a bit to drink to open anything that says 24/7 service.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#3 MrAppliance

MrAppliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:18 AM

I work for a Mr. Appliance and have for alittle more then 5 years and love it.  We are not open 24/7 and donot work on Sunday's and donot work after hours.  Im the Field Tech Manager and my techs make on average $35,000 a year, a few made $72,000 last year.  It is a great business to get into. This Mr. Appliance rolls in over 1.5 million last year and we have 8 techs and 4 dispatchers (that dube as HR) and 2 parts looks up, that also help out with the recon appliances for our retail store.

#4 zaskar

zaskar

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

[user=23908]MrAppliance[/user] wrote:

I work for a Mr. Appliance and have for alittle more then 5 years and love it.  We are not open 24/7 and donot work on Sunday's and donot work after hours.  Im the Field Tech Manager and my techs make on average $35,000 a year, a few made $72,000 last year.  It is a great business to get into. This Mr. Appliance rolls in over 1.5 million last year and we have 8 techs and 4 dispatchers (that dube as HR) and 2 parts looks up, that also help out with the recon appliances for our retail store.

I wonder how much they pay in franchise fees? A local tech here gave it a try and failed after the first year. He had to give them so much he couldn't afford to advertise. It was also in the contract that if he failed he can not work for his self for 5 years in the county.

#5 MrAppliance

MrAppliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:42 AM

The Fee's depend on the amount brought in, it is % of the sales minus parts that you have.  The guy that i work for pays about 4% and he made 1.4million last year. (GROSS) the more you make the less it is to pay of course. the most i heard is like 7%, but not sure because i only see the one that i work for.  Most that fail do so because they donot follow the guidlines that were set out. If you follow the guidlines they have you should not fail. I have been privilged to help some other owners in there descions about the guidlines. Some feel it to be "dumb" to use shoe covers for every call (rain or shine), but your customers will love it. No i dont use new ones for every call, that will be a jugdement call. Yes if it rains, then new ones for every call. (worldwide supply) is who we get ours from. We get bright orange ones so the customer is sure to see them while you walk around. We also use a door mat for all calls to wipe our feet..these small things some times are the big difference for some franchisee's.  Im in Austin TX and if anyone is interested they can visit and get a great tour of this franchise, and see how it is supposed to really work.

#6 JetechService

JetechService

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

Worked for a woman who owned a service company called Appliance Service. We got an issue of the Whirlpool monthly service magazine, can’t remember what it was called, anyway the article showcased a company called “Mr. Appliance”. She loved the name so much she wanted to change our name to “Ms. Appliance” in pink script! That was 1979, I wonder if this guy started Mr. Appliance?

#7 stabbybear

stabbybear

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:47 PM

I worked for them I was good friends with the owner. Stay away. They charge you high fees and do not stand behind you. I now after them going under opened my own company and I am slammed. I could us 3 or 4 more techs. They are a scam. Stay away.

#8 FishOn

FishOn

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Smithwicks

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Just curious bimbbobway, did you wind up purchasing the Mr. Appliance franchise.  I am also considering a purchase and wanted to know what your experience was like dealing with the franchisor?

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

Brothers, friends, and past/current/future franchisees.  Since this topic has landed in this particular forum, I must now hijack it for my own selfish reasons.

Doug Rogers is the current President of Mr. Appliance.  I have met Mr. Rogers and found him to be personable, knowledgeable, and a top gun in this industry.  And a super nice guy.

Doug started with Bob's Appliance Service back in '82 as service manager.  Was a self employed tech before signing on with Whirlpool as a technician in '94.  Graduated Northwestern in '98 and became Whirlpool's Manager of Technician Service Contract Sales.  Was appointed President of Mr. Appliance in '04 and ramrodded the Z-Ware software program for franchisees.  In 2007 Doug received the President's Award for the Dwyer Group.  Needless to say, the man has paid his dues.

So I come before you now, humbly seeking absolution for the transgression I committed on:

"The Day I Insulted The President Of Mr. Appliance".

Brothers, will you hear my confession.........?

#10 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

<<<Brothers, will you hear my confession.........?>>>

Yes...

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#11 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

Let's hear it brother Duff.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Brothers, will you hear my confession.........?

Your confession has been heard, Brother PDuff, and absolution has been dispensed not once, not twice, not even seven times, but seventy times seven.  

Amen.  

#13 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

<<<"The Day I Insulted The President Of Mr. Appliance">>>

Something that happened on an episode of "Undercover Boss" ?

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#14 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

Thank you Brothers.  As I stated before, Doug is a pretty cool guy.  I, on the other hand, am a braying jackass.  Case in point:

Back in 2009, our shop owners received the Mr. Appliance Franchise Owner of the Year Award.  I myself was presented with the Salesperson of the Year Award for gross revenue generated by Advantage Plan sales combined with completed service calls.  So later that year we were visited by Doug Rogers, who wanted to check out our operation and meet our staff.

It was about 7:00 on a Monday morning when I arrived to work.  Doug was already there talking to the owners in their office.  Doug introduces himself and congratulates me for a banner year.  We talk for a while then I excuse myself so I can route and pre-diagnose my service calls for the day.  Doug returns to the owners office to continue their discussion.

A few minutes later while I'm still preparing my route, Doug returns to my desk and sits down next to me.  He congratulates me again and would like me to demonstrate my technique with a typical customer, from door knock to completion of the service call.  (Did I mention that it was a little after 7:00am and that I haven't had the first slurp of coffee from my insulated Super Double Big Gulp cup?)

So I stop my work and stand up, ready to oblige, although still a little groggy.  I get about halfway into my initial presentation and then Bam!  Total brainlock.  I mean I've got nothing.  So I look right at Doug and exclaim, "Man, it's just too early for this!"  (Now I might have used one or more expletives in that statement but the PTSD hinders my memory).

But I do remember the look on Doug's face.  His face seemed to......melt.  Kinda like the bad guy in "Raiders of the Lost Ark".  I quickly tried to recover, apologizing, saying I haven't had my coffee, I'm tired etc.  But I could tell that the love was gone.  I return to my desk to complete my route, and before I leave the shop we shake hands and exchange cordial goodbyes.  After that I haven't talked to or seen him since.

Even though I no longer serve under the flag of Mr. Appliance, I still have a little neon blue and orange in my blood.  And that day still bugs me a little.  So if your out there, Mr. Rogers, no hard feelings, ok Bro?  And if there are any current franchisees who come across Mr. Rogers in their course of business, tell him PDuff "brays" his forgiveness.

So, there it is Brothers.  I shall now return to my whipping post to await summary judgment.  Be gentle.

(BTW, I have another story involving a disgraced former Vice President of Mr. Appliance, but it may not be suitable for all audiences.  So that, my friends, is a tale for another day.  When will I ever learn?)

#15 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Many,many years later---when you've died and gone to Heaven, PDuff.

You'll be told that your Guardian Angel *did this*---because it was far better to have that awkward moment at the office rather than a horrible experience on the job.

Like bursting through a door and frightening a kid playing hooky (while looking for a water shut-off valve).

It was commissioned by God Himself---to spare you the embarrassment :)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#16 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

John, you might have something there.  Except my Guardian Angel has a weird sense of humor.  Makes me laugh sometimes.

#17 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

John, you might have something there.  Except my Guardian Angel has a weird sense of humor.  Makes me laugh sometimes.

Bruther Duff, I'd say you were completely justified in your actions.

It's just like the suits from the home office to swoop in at 0' dark thirty and ambush the troops that are getting it done all day everyday in the field.  

The fact that this guy wants you to "perform" for him what you do in a customers house in front of him on the spot is laughable and an insult to your obvious award winning skills.  In a situation like this, you should've been invited to a formal workshop type meeting where other members of corporate could be exposed to your thoughts, comments, challenges, etc so that information could used corporate wide.  

Instead you got, "hey kid come here - what's in the secret sauce?"

#18 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

Domo, Bro Thirsty.  Hell, I never minded showing off and I love being a "rock star".  And the bragging didn't help either, "A service call from me was like a ride on Space Mountain!"  (Did I mention I was/am a jackass?)  So I guess it was Karma dumping a huge steaming pile of humility down my throat on that fateful morning.

#19 btaggartjr

btaggartjr

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Widmer Citra Blond

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

I've been looking at getting into working for Mr. Appliance. I've been trying to get more information on them and I applied, but no dice yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics