My 3 year old Maytag Dryer had a sudden death (DOA) after power was restored from a neighborhood blackout. I had Maytag's national service come to my house for repairs. The service representative determined the dryer was beyond economical repairs since the labor and material to restore the dryer would be replacement cost :X. In this case the damages were to the electronic printed circuit board (its components melted down), burnt wiring harness and melted LED/touch onsole panel. By the way my garage still has this lingering burnt carbon smell from this meltdown:(.
Maytag states "abnormal operating voltages" are not covered under their warranty. They do not mentioned anywhere the need of a power line surge protector with the use of this appliance. Their design did not have built in circuit protection even so the power is always on to a certain extent when the appliance is off. It depended on the house circuit breaker to trip but in my case it was a slow meltdown until the house breaker eventually tripped. Another reason to never run this kind of appliance unattended!
I did see another article on this site mentioning how unreliable these newer electronically controlled appliances are compared to the old fashion electrical/mechanical timer models. Even a friend of mine that works for Sears appliance repair prefers the older models as far as lower cost long term maintenance over the newer models. From my incident, both Maytag and the local power company did not take any responsibility for the melt down/electrical fire damage to the dryer. Fortunately my home didn't burn down as an indirect result of this catastrophic failure.
Does anyone have a schematic to the LED/touch console panel?
Lesson learned: newer and more expensive products are not always better in this case. User and buyer be aware! Can we count on dependability or reliability?
Thank all of you for your sympathy,