Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washer LA5800XSW1 will not spin

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

Hello,
       I have a no drum spin condition and was wondering if it is the transmission. I already changed the clutch and the washer will go through all the cycles, fill with water, agitate, drain but it will not spin the drum. The motor goes forward and backwards so that looks ok. I removed the transmission and motor and ran it forward and backwards and in one direction, it agitates but in the other direction, nothing happens. I opened up the transmission and the only thing that looks like would be the problem is the centrifugal weights and some nylon fingers under the large gear. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. When I changed the clutch, there was this nylon gizmo pictured and was wondering if it goes on the clutch housing on the motor side. My old clutch didn't have one so where does this go.

Thanks,
doogdoog

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 That Guy

That Guy

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:12 PM

It could be the neutral pack kit part #388253, would fix your gearcase. It includes all the little parts under that big nylon gear. Is the gear itself in good shape? No missing or worn down teeth?

The kits are less than $20, so it might be worth a try.

#3 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:28 PM

Hello,
       Thanks for the reply and the big gear looks good and no teeth are missing.  Am I right in thinking that if the motor turns in one direction, there will be agitation and in the other direction it should spin?? Does the motor speed have anything to do with it? The motor seems to be running ok but I don't have any way to check the rpm.

Thanks,
doogdoog

#4 That Guy

That Guy

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

Your right, one direction to agitate, the other direction to spin.

That part goes in the middle of the clutch before it slides onto the gearcase shaft. Keeps it from vibrating against the gear with a seal that sticks out of the top of the gearcase cover.

#5 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:47 PM

Thanks That Guy,
                          Yes, that's where I installed it, on the bottom side of the clutch housing facing the transmission. I wonder why my old clutch didn't have one and I also noticed that the new clutch has fewer friction pads (must be made in China LOL) . My old direct drive coupler also looked better than the new one I bought (they don't make it like they used to).

Thanks,
doogdoog

#6 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

Hello,
        I got the new transmission I tested it and it runs ok. When I took off the clutch, I think I removed a cup looking washer and below that was a clip (not sure) and then the clutch. When I installed everything back, the clutch seems to have a lot of play and maybe I lost something or reassembled it wrong.  Is the clip the last to go on or is it the cup washer?? What is the order of assembly? I can't seem to find a diagram on the setup.

Thanks,
doogdoog

#7 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

Hello,
       Ok, I installed the clutch first and then the cup washer (facing down towards the clutch) and then the clip. Everything seems snug but is this the correct way??

Thanks,
doog

#8 That Guy

That Guy

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

OK, go here http://www.servicema.../JA/ja_main.htm and download  Job aid L-55. Its a PDF file and then go to page 26. It has a nice picture of how the parts go together. This manual also explains how the neutral drain gearcase works.

#9 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

Hey That Guy, you are da guy! That was a very helpful link and I found out what I did wrong. I removed the clutch and gearbox a couple of times doing some checks and I left out the retainer ring (stupid, stupid). I had everything in a pile and my dog was around there, so he must have took it. I reused the old one and now everything works like a champ. Thanks again.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

#10 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:40 AM

Yeah that's it... the DOG took it..LOL
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#11 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:30 AM

Hello,
        Yep, the dog always gets the blame. LOL

Thanks,
doog

#12 amysdad

amysdad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:50 AM

Have a similar problem with Whirlpool LSR5233EQ2. Goes thru the wash and rinse cycles and  I can hear the motor run but the tub does not spin.

I got the cabinet and panel off thinking it was only a broken belt and find that I was smart enough to buy a direct drive ten years ago  . . .  it has operated daily without fail.

As a true novice oh great one - do you recommend anything before I jump into the open heart surgery?

I downloaded the Whirlpool help tech help pamphlet (L-55.pdf) and it has some good detail but want to see if I am missing anything simple and easy before attempting the major job.

Thanks

JP

#13 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:51 AM

Aloha,
         I am no expert but maybe I can help make things easier. First, be sure there are no small children around and expecially pets. The first thing you should do, is to check the lid switch if it is good (the washer will not spin if the switch is bad). Check to see if the clutch housing is spinning in the rinse cycle. It is a chrome cover with some fins on the side  below the washer drum.  If it spins in the rinse cycle then it could be a bad clutch. If it doesn't spin in the rinse cycle, then I would check to see if the motor is going one way in agitate and the other way in rinse. I think that by looking from the front of the washer (the side where the pump is, mine is in the front) the motor shaft should turn clockwise for spin and counter-clock for agitate. Not really sure but it should go one way for agitate and the other way for rinse. If it goes both ways, then it would most likely be your transmission. Oh, to make things work with the cover off, use a jumper wire to connect the plug that you removed by removing the control panel  (it has three conductors), I think the middle is ground so, jumper the two outer wires (use caution here, 120 V, and unplug the washer first) I may have missed some things, but I think I covered the most important ones. The washer may not respond immediately at different positions of the dial because there is a timer so you may have to wait a little before if does the next function. (AGAIN,  be carefull when working with electricity). Post back if you need any further information.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

#14 amysdad

amysdad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

Aloha DoogDoog.

I had read about the lid switch and considered that, but since the motor is running when it is in spin cycle would that not be happening if the switch was bad??

#15 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

Aloha,
        Yes, if the switch is working, the motor will be running as long as the lid is closed. With the cabinet off, it  will not work because you had to disconnect the lid wires to remove the cabinet. In order to make the various tests, you have to jumper the lid switch wires on the connector that is facing the control panel side or the electrical will not work. Double check the jumper to be sure that you have connected it correctly (do this with the ac plug out) or sparks will fly.  Hope this helps.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

#16 amysdad

amysdad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:20 PM

OK, Thanks. I presumed that since the motor does run in 'spin' cycle but the drum fails to rotate that it was not the spin switch. I also got it to run with cabinet off to confirm that starting it in spin cycle the motor does 'run' but just does not spin the drum.

Can I therefore safely rule out the switch as the problem - and perhaps narrow the possible problem down a bit.

#17 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:29 PM

Aloha,
         You will have to check if the motor runs in both directions. Like I posted earlier, one way it will agitate and the other way, it will spin. Does the clutch housing spin??

Mahalo,
doogdoog

#18 amysdad

amysdad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

The 'agitation' direction apparently worked fine - according to my wife. But sat when the spin cycle started. With the cabinet off I watched the clutch assembly but did not see the tube support move - even while the motor was running.

I removed the agitator, removed three bolts securing the gearcase and attempted to pull the motor and gearcase out - but could only get it about three inches out of the housing. Should it pull out all the way? - or do I have to disconnect the rod inside the drum first?? Didn't want to force it or mess it up so put the bolts back in and sought more help.

The Whirlpool Job Aid I downloaded was pretty helpful (see the page attached here) in getting the step by step on a number of fixes, but I'm a little apprehensive about doing too much before I'm sure where I am going.

It appears to be something in the drive / clutch in my mind, but I'm clearly just running off my gut and not any experience at all.

JP

Attached Files

#19 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:17 PM

Aloha,
        Ok, you said that it agitates but you will still have to check if it turns in both directions. If it only turns in one direction, it will not spin the drum. You can check this (easier if you have two people) by watching the shaft of the motor. It agitates so you know that direction is good. You will have to verify if it goes in the opposite direction for the spin cycle. Turn the control knob to the spin cycle and then pull out the knob and while watching the motor, have someone push in the switch. Watch the motor to see what direction it was going and as it slows down to come to a stop, you will be able to determine which direction it was going. There will be a slight delay in the starting of the motor and that is necessary so the transmission can go to the spin cycle.  What rod are you talking about???? Did you remove the bolt that secures the agitator to the transmission shaft?? If it has a bolt, you will have to remove that too and then carefully slide it out so it will not damage any seals.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

#20 amysdad

amysdad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

I removed the screw under the fabrick softner dispenser in the agitator but even with that it did not slide out all the way. Should the entire rod / gearbox / motor assembly slide out from the drum assembly?

I tried to watch the shaft in the spin direction but although the motor was running the shaft was not moving. Am I missing something?? I will try to run the rinse to spin cycle with my wife there so we can see what happens, but starting it in SPIN the motor ran but there was no turning of anything in the gearbox connected to the shaft.

Am I missing something? Not understanding what you are saying??

Any other suggestions??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics