Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MAV6057AWW noise and now no brake...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 repairski

repairski

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:33 AM

Hello, My machine (a 2000 Maytag MAV6057AWW top load) started making noises during the agitate stage a few weeks ago. They sounded like rocks in the pump. The noise was most of the time, but there were short times that it did not make noise. And only during the agitate stage.

Then it started making noise during the spin cycle. A diferrent noise. A squealing noise. Now there is not as much noise during agitation and during the spin. But I noticed that the drum does not brake when the lid is opened. You can also spin the drum by hand easily.

During the spin cycle, the pump pumps the water out and the drum starts to spin only after the water is pumped out and the drum is lighter.

Any ideas what this could be? And what parts need replacing?

Thanks for everyones time.

John
:yikes:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 repairski

repairski

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:21 AM

New UPDATE**

We'll since it was still draining and eventually spinning. I just tried to do a small load of my kids clothes...

...not so much noise and now it does not spins at all anymore. The pump drains the water out and it makes the noise like it's going to spin, but it doesn't spin.

The tub also does not turn when you try to spin it by hand...

Any ideas??

Thanks again.

:?

#3 repairski

repairski

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

Now it's back to spinning freely no brake. Won't spin until water is completely pumped out.

Is there any help out there??

Let me know what you think Thanks.

#4 repairski

repairski

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

Any ideas anyone???

#5 hvacdrd

hvacdrd

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:05 AM

The slow spin when the tub is full of water is normal due to the weight and drag created from the water. Once the water drains below the inner tub the speed picks up.

As for the noise follow your ears to the source. Possible item caught in pump or it is common for the bearing race to fall out & create constant noise. Keep in mind the pump is turning durning both wash and spin cycles.

The spinning with no brake can be caused by a worn thrust bearing on the transmission pulley. This pulley releases the brake in the spin cycle. Verify from underneath that the pulley is dropping down freely after you turn it manually clockwise. Here is a look at the repair kit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics