Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Scarpa

Maytag A5000 - leaking tub seal worth my time?

5 posts in this topic

I purchased a Maytag A5000 for a bargain basement price, brought it home, put new hoses on it and found out it leaks.

Seems to leak towards the end of the wash cycle, maybe 4 cups or so. I took the front cover off and there's a radial rust pattern on the bottom of the tub so I'm guessing it's the tub seal.

Everything I've found online about the tub seal recommends that I have a pro fix it. I figure I'm handy enough to do it myself though but I need a reality check.

I've estimated (WAG method) that it would take about 4 hours of my time to do it correctly plus or minus a busted knuckle or three.

What would the parts cost be, roughly? Please include any tools I might need to buy beyond your average shadetree mechanic's toolbox.

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

This is one of my favorite repairs.  I put the koto music on my cd player, fire up some incense, and enjoy a meditative appliance repair session.  In such a setting, time dissolves like cheap vodka in dirty water.  Beer mugs are a more appropriate expression of difficulty.  For a neophyte, I would rate this repair at 4, maybe 5 mugs on the SUDs-o-meter.

To complete the repair, you need the stem seal and hub assembly:

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=3075

and the tub bearing:

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=3056

A spanner wrench is highly recommended:

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1590

This was one of the last great top-loader designs ever manufactured.  I would do the repair.

Thanks!

It took me a little bit to convince the wife I can do this repair, as the parts cost triple what we paid for the washer.

I'm gonna give it a shot though, it definitely helps to have an inkling of what I'm getting into ahead of time.

thanks again.. :dude:

Repair went without a hitch yesterday.

Did a little bit of the one step forward - two steps back dance but otherwise everything went together easily.

Almost didn't buy the spanner wrench.. BUY THE SPANNER WRENCH! :yikes: Took three of us to break that freakin nut loose, with the help of a 8lb sledge to fashion a custom impact wrench.

After buttoning everything up there was still a leak where the inlet elbow went into the out tub lid.. just siliconed that sucker up real good, seems to work fine.

No blood lost and it was easier than a clutch job on my car. Was a worthy 4th of July activity IMO.

Thanks again.

Nice job on a repair that is not trivial!  :cheers:

Thanks for the followup report.  In recognition of your accomplishment, you've been promoted to an Apprentice Appliantologist.  Congratulations!