Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Clutch Assembly

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:53 PM

I am almost done putting this back together but I cant put the gearcase/clutch assembly/motor/pump unit in all hte way.  The white plastic piece connected to the main base of the washing machine seems to be blocking the clutch assembly from sliding on all the way.  I think it might be backwards.  Should it be springside up or spring side down. 

It is a whirlpool washingmachine.  I checked the parts here and they have  a picture of it both ways, I dont know what is up.  I have the spring up right now. IF that is correct, anybody have suggestions on how to "ease" the clutch assembly back on the machine.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:44 PM

I tried it both ways and it appears I was right with the spring up.  What I see now is the retaining ring on the clutch assembly is hitting the ring/tube of the brake.  It looks all put together right but the post the gearcase attaches to are not fitting together correctly.  Can anyone offer some suggestions on what might be wrong.

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:20 PM

Would suggest you post a photo of what you have there so others could see  what it looks like??
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:31 PM

There is a picture of the brake assembly on the main machine.  A picture of the clutch assembly on the gear case and a picture of a retainer ring and thrust ring, I think, that I just took off exploring what is wrong.  If you need other photos let me know.  I can take it all apart pretty easily and take a picture of parts all laid out.

Attached Files

#5 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:32 PM

pic of brake

Attached Files

#6 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:33 PM

pic of clutch

Attached Files

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:40 PM

First those plastic things with the "nails" in them are shipping pins and catchers, remove these and throw them away. When you are putting the clutch back together are you rotating the white tab that sticks up to be on the other side of the spring thing??
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:04 PM

If by white tabs you mean the anti-rattle clip, yes, it is on the under side of the clutch with spring unit.  (I am going by pictures, by no means am I an expert with names of all these parts).  I think I know what you mean by the shipping clips, so Ill take those off.

Attached Files

#9 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

Wiat, I think I know what you mean...the white think on the brake assemly.   Which way should it be rotated?

#10 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:08 PM

White tab?

Attached Files

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:49 AM

Boy!!!!!, talk about novices making an easy job difficult.......

You have turned the brake release cam and let the basket/spin tube/brake assembly all drop down out of place, your transmission will never go back in until you push the brake back up into place. See your Picture002.jpg the brake shoes are not all the way up inside the brake drum.

Turn the brake release cam and at the same time have someone else lift the spin basket up as far as it will go then release the brake cam to lock all into place. Now transmission will go in correctly.

You have also damaged some parts, most likely you installed them incorrectly.

Picture008.jpg is the clip and thrust washer. The clip looks bent open to far, you can possibly fix it. But the thrust washer needs to be replaced. That surface that is all ripped up should be smooth to ride against the smooth bottom surface of the spin tube, (which by the way doesn't look so good either, it looks like you put the thrust washer in upside down and maybe bolted the transmission up as far as you could and tried to run the machine).

The clip should have been installed first then the thrust washer sits on top of the clip with domed side up just like you have it in the picture.`

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 guard69

guard69

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

Everything you said makes sense.  However, any damage is from the previous owner.  The maching is only about 4 years old.  It's interesting you said it looks like things are worn because the plug I replaced in the gearcase was only half there.  The relpalcement drive axle seal was in two pieces.  Only one came out.  I don't thin kthis machine was put together very well to begin with. 

Is there suppose to be a ring between the spin tube and tube washer?  And can you be more specifice on which way the washer fits on?

Thanks for your quick analysis of the situation.

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:18 AM

Maybe it's an optical illusion in your picture, I thought the picture is of the thrust washer and clip.

Looks like the thrust washer is setting in your picture the way it goes back in the machine but again maybe that's an optical illusion from the picture so I will try to explain.

First the clip has to be put back onto the agitator shaft in the slot just above the clutch.

Then the thrust washer will go on with the cup bottom up, the clip will be contained in the cup so as there is no way for the clip to come back off when all is assembled correctly.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics