Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Amana/Goodman Central AC - Run Capacitor

pbinfo

Yes, we really did get suckered in by the HVAC repair guy, charging us $237 (plus $75 visit fee) to replace the run capacitor.  I looked up the model number, and it was only $30 to buy.  Where do I find info on how to replace the part myself? 

We have 2 units, so I want to buy a capacitor to have handy to replace when the second unit fails (we have 2 units here in TX!)

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There should be info, on the part itself. It may say  ___ uf...which is the micro - farad rating. As well, there will be a voltage rating. You can go higher than the voltage rating, but do not go lower. Yea, $ 237 seems a little steep. to say the least.

Post your model number and we can tell you which capacitor it takes.

And yes you got ripped off. Our flat rate pricing (part & labor) for this repair is $90.00 plus $60 service charge (or $118 plus $90.00 on overtime.) 

Keep in mind the service charge is the contractors cost of getting a tech there, the vehicle, office staff, overhead and the like that it takes to run a successful business. 

You can browse United Refrigeration's web page to get an idea of how much a part might cost:

www.uri.com

The prices that you see are FULL retail, the price that a licensed contractor pays is apprximately 1/2 of that listed.  Most supply houses will only sell to licensed contractors - a catch 22 for the non-professional.

If I were in your shoes, I would call the service department manager and dispute the cost you incurred.  None of us on this site were there; however, I would venure to guess that one of two things happened:

1. Your service company charged you the trip charge and then the tech who showed up quoted you a price out of the book "Book Pricing."  Book pricing gives the customer what they typically want - A PRICE.  Typically on our side of the fence we hear two things in this order "Are ya done yet?  How about now.  Now?" and then "How much is this gonna cost me?"  Book pricing is typically over way over inflated based on time/material and a good service tech.

2. Your service company charges by Time and Material "T&M".  The price is based solely on the trip charge plus the time it takes your tech to figure it out and do the repair work - plus a nominal mark up fee on the part.

Either you got reamed on the book price or your tech didnt have game and had to charge you for the long amount of time (T&M) it took him to figure it.  Ask your service manager how they charge  BOOK or T&M and then argue your case from there. 

As for how to wire the new one in...you can always ask us and I am sure there a whole lot of people who can help.  Alot of electromechanical parts are plug and play.  GENERALLY speaking with the power OFF and the capacitor DISCHARGED just put the new one in like the old one came out.

Remember, good HVAC techs are paid for what they know how to do, not what they actually do.  In your case: however, sounds like you got the shaft. 

• 2 months later...

[user=11934]hvacdrd[/user] wrote:

Post your model number and we can tell you which capacitor it takes.

And yes you got ripped off. Our flat rate pricing (part & labor) for this repair is $90.00 plus $60 service charge (or $118 plus $90.00 on overtime.) 

Keep in mind the service charge is the contractors cost of getting a tech there, the vehicle, office staff, overhead and the like that it takes to run a successful business. 

I would think he got ripped off if the tech charged him for a capacitor and instead replaced a broken wire. We dont know the companys cost of doing buissness, was it after working hours? I charge more then most companys in my town. I charge $89.60 for a $9.00 relay. I been at this 20 years and im not going to let other companies dictate what I should charge.
Is what I really hate is sir it will be $320.00 for the repair, okay great , fix it. Then he calls back later, why did you charge me xxx the part is onlyxxx. You were happy until you found out I made a profit. :X

zaskar makes a valid point about charging prices set by the business owner and not by what other companies charge. Each business knows how much it needs to charge to stay in business and make a reasonable profit. Fact is we are all here to make a decent living and provide a valuable service for our customers.

I should have re-phrased my reply to indicate you paid more than what our company charges not necessarily that you got "ripped off" since I have no idea of the cost it takes for your contractor to run his business in your area.

sorry I SAW THE name GOODMAN  /// 5 yrs on parts / done.

that`s all i like to sell,

GOODMAN  is the #2 producer of heating and cooling products in the world .

there is no no#1 /// trane cant compete .

goodman makes units for carrier/ bryant / ducane/ reem / rudd/ heil/ janitrol*/

AMERICAN STANDARD : HAS RANKED #1 (AKA TRANE)

the DURATION COMPRESSOR IS THE BEST ON HTE MARKET /V/S ECO

If that capacitor is OPEN or PREGNANT then it is BAD

if it is swolen(preggers)leaky(even worse) if it leaky or open or does not discharge a spark when shorted out to test,then it is bad.

Archived