Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

MAYTAG Washer# A8200

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mizer

Mizer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:30 AM

Is it worth fixing myself? I have the ability and plenty of tools.

Is this a common problem and what parts will I need.

What is the estimated time for this repair?

Cheers

Mizer:vinnie:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,245 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:57 AM

See this topic:

http://applianceguru...orum2/1402.html

#3 Mizer

Mizer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:00 AM

Thank you Master:cheers:

Can I get away with just replacing the shaft seal or do I have to order and replace the whole kit?

Mizer:gimmebeer:

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,245 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:42 AM

Why go through all that work just to do a half-ass job? 

[user=1535]Mizer[/user] wrote:

Mizer:gimmebeer:

No, I'm the one who gets the beer:  http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#5 Scarpa

Scarpa

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:08 AM

I just successfully made the repair in the thread linked above and I would definitely recommend replacing both the seal and bearing. You know the saying.. "while you're in there.."

#6 Mizer

Mizer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:37 AM

Did you also order the wrench?

#7 Scarpa

Scarpa

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:39 AM

Yup, I updated the thread with a post-mortem. The wrench turned out to be extremely useful.

#8 Mizer

Mizer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:59 AM

I could not get that first ring to break loose using the spanner wrench,heat,liquid wrench and muscle:X, so I resorted to cutting it with the dremil very carefully and splitting it off which worked great.( Yes I know it spinns off clockwise).

Then I attached a pipe wrench to the tranie and was able to use the wrench to remove the seal housing:D.

I cleaned up all parts removing the built up grime from years of use and installed the new parts which looked a little different from the originals but fit perfect.

After re-assembling it back together the inner basket would not spin and the belts began to smoke:shock:. I did not realize that the cover of the outer tub was adjustible so it needed to be raised which solved this problem:D.

Now that it is all back together I ran it through a cycle and it began to leak again:X which at this point did not make me happy because I know I installed everything correctly. At this point I tell my Ex-Wife either call Maytag,Buy a new one or live with the leak because I don't know what else to do.

She then throws a load of laundry in it says lets see what happens.

To my surprise it leaked less and less as it ran through the cycles until no leak at all:cool:. What gives?I wonder if was just water still traped in it prior to the change over?

Do seals need time to break in? I know I insalled it the way the old one came out. Bellows in first pushed down to bottom of tub allowing the spring to push up agains the hub installed next screwing it in until tight and then seating the set screw. Then finally placing the backet on top of that and intalling the cup and retaning ring and then the agitater.

Now I'll have to monitor it and see if it stays sealed.

Thanks

Mizer:groucho:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics