Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn Air JCD2289ATB yet another ADC question!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ciucca

ciucca

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:30 AM

I have a 5 year old Jenn air JCD2289AT thats having trouble with defrost mode. After reading this board I removed the controls and found the ADC board. I put it in defrost mode by shorting the test and L1 pin. The fridge went into defrost except the heating element did not get very hot, There was a solid block of ice on the evaporator, and the deforst mode turned off after 12 minutes without melting anything. before i did this I tested the defrost theromstat, according to what I read in a google newsgroup it tested ok, checked for voltage at the white and white/blk terminals on the ADC, so did the heating element, the heating element read 22 ohms.

My intuition tells me its probably the defrost thermostat thats bad. To replace it I also need to replace the heating element, should I also replace the ADC just in case? I don't mind paying the extra $50 for the ADC.

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:37 AM

You might not be getting full voltage to the heating element.  I'd force defrost again and measure the voltage at the harness connectors for the heating element.  You'll be working on a live circuit so observe the one-hand-in-the-pocket rule.  :yikes:

#3 ciucca

ciucca

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:16 AM

Thanks, for the advice. I just tried it and it appears to be 118 volts, which is close enough right? I checked the yellow and the white, after disconnecting the 3 wire connector that goes to the therm, and heater, after it went into defrost mode. It still only gets warm to me, maybe I have too many caliouses on my hand that I can't feel the heat :D. It may be overkill but for around $90 I think I'm going to replace the defrost heater, thermostat, and ADC. Still cheaper than a new fridge. If that doesn't work then I'll call in a repair man.

Thanks.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

[user=1537]ciucca[/user] wrote:

It may be overkill but for around $90 I think I'm going to replace the defrost heater, thermostat, and ADC.

This is the approach I generally recommend for grasshoppers dealing with a bad defrost system. 

http://fixitnow.com/...efrigerator.htm

#5 ciucca

ciucca

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:48 AM

Thanks for the advice. I replaced the ADC and the defrost heater and thermostat (one unit), and the fridge is back to normal. I have a couple of Q I hope someone can answer.

1) Without putting the old ADC back in the fridge is there any way to test if it is working, outside of the fridge?

2) The strip between the freezer and fridge, seems warm, I'm not sure if it was alway like that or this is something new. Should I be worried about it?

Finally, This board is great! I found out so much about my fridge just reading previous posts.

Thank you, I bow to you great Samurai!

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:59 AM

That is supposed to be warm to keep the door gaskets dry so they will not mold.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics