Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Vintage 1960's GE P7 Model: J 4790L2W8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Baphomet777

Baphomet777

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:50 AM

***EDIT*** The model # in the subject line was mis-keyed. model # listed below has been corrected. The model # above should read: J 4790L2WH. Apologies... ***/EDIT***

1960(ish) GE P7 (P*7) electric dual oven standalone range

Model #: J 4790L2WH

15.8 kw

Serial #: GL237559

History:

My old POS range recently died and I decided to drag this HEAVY monstrosity into my kitchen from my garage where it had been stored for the better part of 5 years. I fired it up first to make sure everything was working before I committed myself to 2 cans of oven cleaner and an entire days worth of blood, sweat and beers (My sister took really good care of it, but it was never cleaned before putting it into storage). To my surprise and much delight, everything worked, so I prayed to the beer gods for plentiful harvest and received a 12 pack of the good stuff for my journey into the depths unknown.

Problem:

1.) I sprayed, then drank, read some news, drank some more and then cleaned and  drank some more until I was, err... IT was *SHINY-PURTY* new. Then I fired it up... Everything was golden until I turned off the oven and switched to broil. The indicator light when the oven was on *WAS* working fine until I switched it to broil. The indicator light came on for a brief second or two and then went out. I tried switching back to oven but the light never came back on -- I left the oven on for about 5 minutes to make sure that it wasn't just the light, but alas, no juice to the elements (both oven and broil). I tried switching it to "Clean" and a fan kicked on, the P7 Oven Cleaning panel lit up the "Locked" indicator and nothing more happened.

2.) While cleaning, I noted that the locking mechanism on the door won't engage. It will slide to the "Cook" position but not engage the lock and will partially slide into "Clean" position but not engage and lock the door. I attempted to determine how to get the range top to open to examine the locking mechanism but couldn't figure out how to lift it. I eventually decided to try the back of the unit, but after about 8 screws and 2 panels, it still wasn't obvious how to get the top open. I discovered a Wiring Schematic, but that was about as helpful as an instruction assembly manual written in Mandarin.

Any chance you guys happen to have a manual and exploded parts diagram of this unit? Any thoughts on where to start with the element and/or getting the top lifted?

Thanks in advance!!!

Attached Files

When the blind leadeth the blind... get out of the way.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:14 PM

The first and most important task will be to make sure you didn't somehow, (without realizing it), push one of the clock buttons that would put it in a timed bake/broil mode.

If not that, sometimes those old ranges had screw-in fuses in them, (look over the schematic and see if you see anything that looks like it might be a fuse).

And also check your house circuit breaker to make sure it didn't trip.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 donn

donn

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Most any tea/coffee

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:06 AM

this model may have a manual push buttom locking solenoid --  located on console--you'll  have to push  while moving latch handle to lock /unlock- listen for buzz/clunk--also check door may also have a sliding window sheild-  I  hope mice haven't set up house keeping in the oven liner.

over 39,500 appliances repaired since 1978 (some successfully)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics