Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washing Machine LSC8244DQ0 Weird Sqeak

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MKL

MKL

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:35 AM

Long time lurker...I've looked and looked but cannot find the instructions to remove the agitator on this squeaking, squealing approximately 9 year old washing machine.  I've followed the link you've posted in answers to other questions about this matter but none of them look like my cursed machine.

While doing a load of wash the other night, as the machine was about to enter the spin zone, (without O'Reilly) it started making a screeching or squealing noise. Once it got into the full spin this noise disappeared.  At the end of the spin there was sort of an "erk" sound, I'm not sure if that "erk" sound was always there or not.  Anyway, this noise at the beginning of the spin worries me and I wonder if a screw, nail or other metal something or other fell out of one of my pockets and is lodged under there, or what is going on. 

I want to check it before I do anymore laundry (which is piling up) as I'm afraid of ruining something expensive and cannot afford a new washing machine at this time.  I'm a somewhat handy female, but completely unfamiliar with washing machine repair, so please be explicit with your explanation.  I might add that with the aid of this board I was able to diagnose and then repair my clothes dryer (replaced heating element) last winter. 

Many thanks in advance! 

Mary

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 GLC

GLC

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:46 AM

this has the two piece agitater. First pull the top lid off (pry it up if tight). Then lift the little plastic handle out of the way. Then remove the bolt under there.

Attached Files

Unless specifically asked otherwise, remember to test with the unit unplugged, or breaker off.
CLICK HERE TO BUY PARTS
Appliance Repair In Maryland http://serviceeveryday.com

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:17 AM

You might have 2 problems, but this could be partly the clutch/break assy.  You need to be able to run this with the lid open in the spin position.   Activte the lid switch with a pencil or something.  Reach in and hold the spin basket and then turn the washer on in spin.  Hold this basket for 1-2 minutes then release it and let it reach full speed then stop the washer by turning the timer off or releasing the lid switch.  See if the hard breaking/noise is better.  Keep doing this untill it comes to a smooth stop and the noise is gone at the stop.  Not sure this will cure the noise in the spin starting up problem or not, but start here.   the clutch gets rust on the pads and this burnishes the break pads, removing this rust that makes it grab.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 MKL

MKL

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for your quick replies.  I took the agitator off and found nothing that looked bad to my untrained eye, so I put it back.  I ran a cycle and find that it fills fine, agitates fine, and empties fine, but right before it goes into spin there is a rubbing, sqeaking/grinding noise that seems to go away once it reaches full spin.  My DH says just let it go until something breaks and a part stops working, which is contrary to my nature.  It just doesn't feel right and I wonder if I haven't seen the ending which is me having to take a load of sopping wet laundry out of the tub and dealing with that mess. 

Thanks for your help!

Mary

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:41 PM

Sounds like you might have a coupler going bad also, between the motor and transmission.  If this fails, it will not agitate nor spin, but it will drain.  Did you try the "burnishing the clutch" repair?????
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 MKL

MKL

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:28 PM

Yes, I did try the burnishing.  I honestly can't tell if it helped or not.  I'm so distracted by the whining when it is getting ready to spin...I have done three loads since my first post and it's still making that grinding noise and it may be getting louder!  I should order the part and give it a try.

Thanks for your help!

Mary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics