Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Staber versus ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Staber Fan

Staber Fan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

Staber versus Kenmorezilla! Staber versus Boschadon! I must have read about 200 posts about the subject of which washing machine is the best but I am still unsure.

Sadly, after spending eleven hundred dollars on a pull start walk-behind lawnmower I can no longer convince my wife that quality isn't cheap. Yes I want a Staber very badly but the fact that its not stackable, isn't available in pretty color's and has a 3 week delivery time leaves me with just Sears as my choice.

Ok so if Sears is my destination, then which front loading washing machine is the best? The Duet I suppose but which model? The Kenmore Elite's seem fine but what does everyone here think?

Carpe Diem

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

The Whirlpool Duet, or the Kenmore Elite HE3 (which is the same machine with the Kenmore nameplate on it) is your wisest choice if you must get a stacking washer.  I strongly advise against getting a stackable washer, because then every time it needs service you have to take the dryer off of the washer.

Scott Wolf

#3 mastertech011

mastertech011

Sōhei

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:33 AM

If it were me I would let her make the final choice after you make your recommendations and reasons why.  Living in peace is sometimes more preferrable than to be a lonely King.

She will be happy for awhile if she chooses the pretty machine and wont hold you to blame when it doesnt perform exactly as her dreams led her to believe.

The first time your mower wont start she is going to say I told you so! Dont let her have that right to everything you own.. heh!

#4 Staber Fan

Staber Fan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:49 AM

I have been happy with the Staber for over a year now (I have another post about buying it) BUT my wife has noticed tears/rips in some of the clothes and especially the towels. Is Staber known for that or could it be the clothes dryer?

#5 Staber Fan

Staber Fan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

According to this older Wired.com interview with Steve jobs, even the Apple CEO owned a Miele.

Steve Jobs: "Design is not limited to fancy new gadgets. Our family just bought a new washing machine and dryer. We didn't have a very good one so we spent a little time looking at them. It turns out that the Americans make washers and dryers all wrong. The Europeans make them much better - but they take twice as long to do clothes! It turns out that they wash them with about a quarter as much water and your clothes end up with a lot less detergent on them. Most important, they don't trash your clothes. They use a lot less soap, a lot less water, but they come out much cleaner, much softer, and they last a lot longer.

We spent some time in our family talking about what's the trade-off we want to make. We ended up talking a lot about design, but also about the values of our family. Did we care most about getting our wash done in an hour versus an hour and a half? Or did we care most about our clothes feeling really soft and lasting longer? Did we care about using a quarter of the water? We spent about two weeks talking about this every night at the dinner table. We'd get around to that old washer-dryer discussion. And the talk was about design.

We ended up opting for these Miele appliances, made in Germany. They're too expensive, but that's just because nobody buys them in this country. They are really wonderfully made and one of the few products we've bought over the last few years that we're all really happy about. These guys really thought the process through. They did such a great job designing these washers and dryers. I got more thrill out of them than I have out of any piece of high tech in years."

Well, I bought the most American made of all washing machines and it failed me after just three years.

And before the Staber, I had bought the Whirlpool Duet which lasted less than a week before it broke. So, I am giving this German made machine a chance.

Edited by Staber Fan, 19 December 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#6 Staber Fan

Staber Fan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

After five years of extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that the Miele 1900 series were the best washing machines ever built.

I recently decided not to fix my Staber after years of poor performance, most notably, the inability of the machine to spin when unbalanced. Several times I came home at night to find the Staber still running from a load of laundry that I started that morning, ten hours earlier. I am disappointed with Staber, especially after taking the ferry across the Long Island Sound to Long Island to pick up the washer and back again. I went to great lengths to get this machine, and they, the washer and more importantly the company, let me down.

Based on what I've read and many emails to Miele dealers, there are no more NEW 1900 series machines available.

Does anyone think it possible to build a W1986 from spare parts alone or is it more realistic to rebuild an older machine? What about someone who rebuilds/restores Miele washing machines to "almost new" condition?

Thanks for any and all comments!

Mark

Edited by Staber Fan, 19 December 2011 - 03:43 PM.

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

Yes - Miele, very nice Quality - good choice! Which ones did you get (we have manuals) ?

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

... before the Staber, I had bought the Whirlpool Duet which lasted less than a week before it broke..

if it was a Whirlpool Duet Sport, it was made in Mexico

#9 Staber Fan

Staber Fan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

I am the proud owner of a Miele W1903 and I'm on the lookout for a W1966 or W1986.

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

A very good choice indeed ! P/M'd you a slough of goodies :cheers:

#11 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:42 AM

Do not buy the Whirlpool or Maytag machine. They are having massive failures of their main bearing/seals. Many need a new rear tub and basket within the first 6 monthes, some have been rebuilt twice in the first year.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics