Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

No Ice from Subzero/Whirlpool Icemaker

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 no_ice_guy

no_ice_guy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:47 AM

Our Whirlpool new style icemaker doesn't work. Here's my tale of woe:

Initially, there were two symptoms:
• IM would sporadically stop making ice. "Jiggling" the bar that detected the ice level seemed to force/enable it to continue through the harvest cycle, but not always. There were also periods (days, weeks) during which it worked fine.
• Occasionally, cubes in the bottom inch or so of the ice drawer were frozen together, I think because water was overflowing into the tray because frozen cubes were not being fully ejected.

So, I took it apart (after reading thru your most excellent site), and saw that a little actuator nub had broken off of one of the plastic arms inside the module. I replaced the module and after that, the IM seemed to work fine ..... for about a month.

Now, it's again refusing to cycle. Here's what I've done & observed so far:
• IM hangs just before harvest should begin, but completes a cycle OK when jumpered. It cannot be coaxed into completing several cycles in succession. All I can get is one 'n done.
• Water valve works OK (fills tray just right).
• Thermostat is open at room temp, and closed when allowed to cool down in freezer (observed this by inserting thermostat head in a cup of room temp water then sticking cup in freezer.
• Heater element shows a short between terminals.
• Steady state temp in freezer is about +4 F

I'm at a loss as to what to look at next....maybe freezer is too cold (ice is too hard?)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....wife is getting on my case pretty good

Thanks in advance......

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:03 PM

Not sure but sounds like you have another defective ice maker since it hangs just before the harvest unless the cubes are too large and gets hung on the stripper fingers. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 no_ice_guy

no_ice_guy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:41 PM

Hmmm....is there an adjustment that would let me reduce the size of the cubes?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:02 PM

There is an adjustment but that is probably not the correction to your problem.  The module you bought has a one year manufacturer's warranty.  Get a replacement module under warranty.

#5 no_ice_guy

no_ice_guy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:06 PM

Will do......

Thanks for the advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics