Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Washer shakes violently - Whirlpool

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 richerich

richerich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:34 PM

Hello,

My Whirlpool LSQ9620LW1 washer shakes violently when it goes into spin cycle - walks around room, spills water. A regular brute. The springs seem to be OK - not all stretched out of shape and connected ok. The pads don't seem to be worn and the washer is level (although the back legs are the self leveling kind that can't be torqued down I think...)

Any ideas? Springs and pads have been suggested. What do I look for??

Otherwise the washer work great!

Thanks,

Rich

ps. would you suggest trading this for a kenmore washer about the same age? We were offered one for free...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:50 PM

Sure can trade for the Kenmore, of course it is the same Whirlpool that you have now.  Sears makes nothing and the top loading Kenmore is made by W.P...Check to see if the brown glides are in place under the white slide plate under the tub area.  If one is broken that washer will walk out the door and down the street.  Also see if your balance ring on the top of the spin basket has come loose. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 richerich

richerich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the tips on the Kenmore. So the Elite is just a Whirlpool?

As for my current washer, I found three of these clasps that were loose. Could this be the solution?

As for the glides under the white slide plate - I think I know what your talking about (and they look fine to me..) are they supposed to allow the tub to glide easily or not?

What is the easiest way to get access to the glides?

Rich

Attached Files

#4 richerich

richerich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:05 PM

Here are some more pics if it helps explain or diagnose...

Rich

Attached Files

#5 richerich

richerich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:06 PM

And the other side..

Attached Files

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:17 PM

Do not see anything out of place, the rear balance spring is in place.  The splash guard could cause problems since it also helps keep the fiberglass tub in true.  Check the balance ring on top of the spin basket too,  And make sure the front of the case is locked under the base, and the sides are on the tabs on the base sides.  By pass the lid switch and see if you can see where the vibration is coming from with the case off, you could have a worn drive block under the spin basket also, letting the basket wobble

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#7 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:47 PM

richerich,
How old is your washer?
Did your washer spin satisfactorily before?

The photo shows that the washer stands on two 1X6" boards which are floating on the tile-floor.
Could you try again without using these boards?
The Seven

#8 richerich

richerich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:33 AM

The washer is from somewhere between 2000 and 2003 (it came with our house)

When we bought the place, the washer was shaking and leaking worse than it is now. It was extremely NOT level when we moved in (no feet in the front at all - which I've since replaced with bolts when I moved and retiled the floor). I'll try with the boards tonight. Could the years of running un-level have damaged or worn something out?

Any other pictures that would help?

An odd thing I noticed. There are two plastic "cups" that are part of the bottom tri pod (visible in the last picture) One had a metal pin of some sort in it. Is this normal? Did the pin come from somewhere? What are the cups for?

Where is the splashguard and balance ring? Could you describe?

Rich

#9 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

Sounds the washer was not installed properly from day one.
a) the original leveling feet with lock nuts were missing.
B) the shipping strap (with two cotter pins) was not removed completely as noted from your last photo.

Excess noise and vibration occurs because of (a) and (B)

You could download the installation instructions from:
http://www.whirlpool...240&view=2#tabs

The Seven

#10 richerich

richerich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:32 AM

So I'll try a few things tonight:

1) Taking the boards out from under the machine (a little weary as I only have "bolts" as the front feet - couldn't find the proper appliance feet at Home Depot)

2) Use nuts on the bolts to secure washer

As for the cotter pins, does anything have to be done here? I didn't find anything in the installation manual you linked to..

Rich

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:44 AM

Order the front feet for this washer, they have rubber pads to help keep the washer in place. The "nails" in the plastic cups were shipping pins and they are to be removed.  the plastic cups hold the pins so they do not fall into something, if there are only 2 of them still hanging, see if the 3rd one is jammed between the base of the washer and the tranny or something.  The balance ring is attached to the top of the spin basket and is full of a saline solution, helps keep the washer balanced in spin.  You will hear this liquid still swooshing when the spin basket stops.  If this is loose you will never stay balanced. You might see about some foot grabber pads that keep appliances from sliding/walking across slick floors.  Try sitting this washer on a small rug with rubber backing to see if this helps the washer stay in place as a test.

#12 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:11 AM

richerich,

When you rock the top part of the tub unit, it should move quite freely in the horizontal direction (say 1" from the center) against the force of the suspension springs.
If not, there may be still one or two "nails" jamming the tub unit against the base frame as pointed out by Pegi. Then you need to remove these jamming nails.
The Seven

#13 richerich

richerich

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:17 AM

It seems to rock and slide OK. Has all the degrees of freedom it needs I think. I can provide a video if necessary. I'll try to make the feet and leveling changes suggested and try again with the cover off...

Would a video help?

Thanks for the suggestions!! More are welcome!

Rich

#14 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:22 AM

Quite welcome.  We have also seen bent agitator shafts, this will make the washer rock and roll too. :cool:

#15 steinholder

steinholder

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

My first post!  I must say to everyone... Thank you!  I recieved (as a gift!) a Whirlpool direct drive (LA5578XTW1) washer from a good friend of mine.  Long story short, I replaced the Coupler and with all that power it was destroying itself slamming around and hitting the sides on the spin cycle.  80% of this was relieved when I replaced the brown slider pads, but it was still making some bad galloping sounds.  Once I removed those stupid little pins; the ones that keep things from moving during shipping, that had apparently been in for years, it is like a brand new machine!  I am impressed with this forum, you guys rock!

Next day - After a fews hours of sleep, the beer wore off and my wife added some clothes.  Now the washer moves so much on spin that it looks to be coming apart.  It works great empty!  Please help, I am getting pretty tired of doing this.

#16 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:44 AM

o.k. now my 1 cent  first i would say remove the wooden boards then i would ask you to put it into spin and stop it , now listen for the sound of water a swash sound when it stops  the reason for this is there is supposed to be water in the counterbalance ring located on the top of the basket not the outer tub from the first pic the top white ring ,if you unclip it and remove it you will see a beige plastic ring  (counterbalance ring) that should have some water in it if not replace it
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#17 steinholder

steinholder

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for getting back with me, I guess I could've picked a better place to post.   I didn't want to start a new thread, I just wanted to express my gratitude. That first load after the repair was improperly loaded(we had baskets of half washed clothes that were stacking up).  It has since been running beautifully.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics