Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
llurkin

Bad dent in the front door of a LG fridge door

9 posts in this topic

Generally, I'm pretty handy fixing things, and I felt that If I could take the door apart, I would be able to press out the dent from the inside.  BUT..  they seem to have an unusual method of attaching the door front to the inside of the door. 

In the past there have been screws underneath the inside of the seal.  But this time.. nothing.

There seems to be a scalloped edge underneath the seal, and nothing else.

Does anyone know how to take the door apart?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Post your model number and when I am at my shop tomorrow I will see if I can pull up the service manual to see how that comes off..

The fridge is a LG model LRDN20724WW.

I almost wonder if the door is glued together.

Thanks for the quick response.  I'll look forward to your response.

Welcome, I will look tomorrow, cannot remember my password here at the house to access my L.G. site...  LOL

Probably an "FIP" (Foamed In Place) door - if so, no means of disassembly :shock:

I'm afraid that might be the case.

If it is foamed in place, would a heat gun help the covering regain it's shape?? 

Does anyone have experience in doing this?

The only way to repair this is to replace the door.  How old is this box??  L.G. would replace if under warranty or if the delivering company did this they would have to get this replaced.  You might try one of those thingies that say they will pull dents out of cars, not that I have seen one that would actually work, perhaps an auto body place could come and pull this dent out for you at little cost, a lot less than this door would cost at around $500-$600..

First, thanks for all the thoughts.

To put an element of closure on this, the LG fridge was dented by the delivery people from the store.  The store offered a $100.00 rebate in lieu of fixing the door.

Being a guy, as long as the box keeps the beer cool, everything was fine with me.. BUT.. the boss called the store and told them to take it back.  She then went down to the store and bought a bigger unit.

Oh well, now on Sunday  like last Sunday I'll be shortening up a cupboard again for the bigger, taller fridge.  :(

Again, thanks for the opinions.

but you'll have more room for beer!!