Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
jzx6rs

Whirlpool Oven SF379LEK

19 posts in this topic

Hello. I have a Whirlpool Oven model number SF379LEK which is approximatly 3 years old.

When turning the oven on to a preheat, the ignitor will make 4 "clicks" or so and sometimes the burner will not light. Sometimes this happens during an oven cooking cycle as well. This condition is random and does not always happen. How I noticed the last time is that thinking the oven was at 350 I checked on the cooking process 30-40 minutes later and noticed the oven temperature was down to 200 or so.

Thank you very much for your input

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

this unit uses a direct spark ignition system which will attempt to ignite,but if it doesn't,the control defaults to a shut down mode for 5 minutes to allow purging. i have run in to a couple of issues with them,all due to the feed wire to the ignitor itself; the wire runs down the rear of the range and is secured to the chassis w/metal clips. after time,the meatal clips chaffe through the wire insulation and since it is a high voltage circuit,combined with a feedback circuit for flame sensing; creates a ground situation which ceases ignition.  i found the best cure was to take some good,heavy guage,well insulated range wire(high heat insul.) and solder a terminal at one end,restring the whole circuit,paying special note to secure to chassis without damaging insulation.

See if this might address your problem???

[align=left]All 30” Whirlpool Gas Self-Clean[/align]

[align=left]Freestanding Ranges[/align]

[align=left](with Direct Spark Ignition)[/align]

[align=left]MANUFACTURED BETWEEN CODE DATES RK01 THROUGH RR07[/align]

[align=left]

thanx for that info pegi, i missed that bulletin.

The new burner design does work much better. I've used many of theem with good results.

Nick

pegi ,that is only a bandaid i have tracked most or the reworks i have done and 40% come back with related problems and the only solution is to replace the burner again this is also common to the kenmore 665 gas range model (same range) 

Boy, and I thought W/P made good products, is sure crappy the poor customer has to pay and pay again to repair the same range over and over again.....sigh....:?

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

Boy, and I thought W/P made good products, is sure crappy the poor customer has to pay and pay again to repair the same range over and over again.....sigh....:?

i love whirlpool products , the worst they are the better for me sence i dont sell them however it is so sad that the averege joe dosent know that the whole whirlpool appliance line is flawed with something or another , for example while i worked for sears we had a warehouse full of whirlpool and kenmore 665 ranges ,as a service tech when i would get a call on one or seven i would write a special no# on the back so i could track how many times i saw this unit and how many homes i saw it in for the same repair, when we contacted whirlpool the engineers said they just didn`t know how to fix it  so they handed us the burner bandaid and the same goes for the microwaves and the he3`s washer and dryers. so as you can see whirlpool is a service techs best friend.

That is not right.....sigh....:(

Thanks Pegi for the recommendation. Since I live close to repairclinic.com, I stopped in there yesterday and picked up part 8190618 and after 3 hours of oven bake time I have not experienced the problem again

Installation was a breeze.

Thanks Again

Cool, thanks for letting us know!!   We won another war, well at least for now....

Just bought the part. Was wondering if anyone can point me to the installation instructions.

Thanks.

New Guy, you just bought what part for what appliance....brand and model number.

Hello New Guy

I installed this part back in July. Remove the oven racks from the oven and then use a screwdriver and remove I believe 3 screws from the bottom cover of the oven baking area. Remove the cover and there you will see the burner/ignitor. Use a screwdriver and remove I believe 2 screws that hold the burner/ignitor in place and also remove the wire that attaches to the ignitor. Now the old burner/ignitor is removed. Installation is reversed from the above.

Hopefully this helps

Thanks, jzx6rs.

That's pretty much what i did. ended up not being that difficult. Tested, seems to be working now.

Great....gladded it worked for you... I havent had a problem since I made the repair....

Well, unfortunatley after only a little over a year this part has went out again. Sad that an oven is built this way and/or a part last only a year.

Replaced the part, again, and it works great...at least for another year. :(