Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Please PLEASE help me shop for a >>>BIG TOP-LOADING WASHER!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:32 PM

[user=23009]Tronicsmasta[/user] wrote:

i dont like the idea of a staber... its a top loading front loader...

That's its very strength and coup d'état!  Come watch a video.  And, no, the Staber does not have the preponderance of bearing problems as, say, the infamous Friggidaire. 

As far as the Cabrio and the Oasis, time will only tell what their Achilles' Heel is-- and don't you know they got 'em, Budrow! 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Tronicsmasta

Tronicsmasta

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

lol it seems kind of far fetched but i am loving it in a way. i would still choose an oasis he but i like the dual bearing setup...

It is never a bad thing to leave it to the professionals. Inexperience can lead to more damage or risk of injury. You can always call A&E Factory Service (1-800-905-9505), Sears(1-800-469-4663), or local service man you can trust (servicemagic.com).

#23 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:03 PM

The samurai knows this machine FAR better than I do, but AFAIK the Staber has the inner drum suspended on bearings on TWO sides instead of one... like on the similar design machines we have over here... outer tub doesn't need to be nearly as sturdily made, and yet the things hold up better. It has no side door, and no boot gasket at least not in the sense as any front loader, so this won't need to hold back against the hydrostatic pressure of water, or a heavy object hitting it... there's no thin slit between the door and drum where icky gookus would gather like that... particularly I hear the staber is designed to be serviceable by the owner, therefore easily serviced by a pro...

Generally the top loaded tumble machines that I've worked with have been easy to work on, quite reliable, have higher spin speeds than many front loaders... resulting in better drying before you put the laundry to dry... There's no bottom gearcase to be reached for, no bottom bearing or shaft seals... you can do most service without reaching under the tubby. Although I haven't seen a Staber live and wouldn't say for 100% sure that it is as it has been advertised, I can say that it might really be the best choice of all the new stuff. The only real problem for cramped laundry rooms would be that if you want a dryer, you can't stack them.

Dang it, I must be getting old... I'm only 31 and I seem to have no control over my fingers anymore... stupid typos constantly.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#24 MISS CHIEVOUS

MISS CHIEVOUS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:58 AM

[user=23009]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Come watch the video.

I would but ~.mov appears to be a QuickTime extension.  Even after installing the viewer I get JAVA error messages. 

I have no idea why this wasn't produced in any of the more widely-distributed video formats (Media Viewer, Adobe Flash, Shockwave).  You would think the manufacturer would want this video to get the broadest circulation possible, given how they've made it impossible for most folks outside of Ohio to see this machine in person.  Vanity, thy name is STABER.

MISS CHIEVOUS

#25 MISS CHIEVOUS

MISS CHIEVOUS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:44 AM

[user=23009]Tronicsmasta[/user] wrote:

in my honest opinion you would probably be better off with a Cabrio or Kenmore Oasis HE washer... 

but you should absolutly use HE detergent... its up to you... how long do you want your machine to last? HE detergent is a completly different chemical makeup.

i dont like the idea of a staber... its a top loading front loader... front loaders are great but im sure the staber has the same bearing issues as all the other ones...

Tronicsmasta . . . I just realized that I didn't complete my thread by including some of the other models I've looked at.  I addressed the (imminent product-recall) aspects of the CABRIO, and unless and until Scott (or someone else) can provide me with evidence that Whirlpool has corrected this problem, fuggedaboudit.

The OASIS HE is a model I am considering, as a matter of fact; but I also looked at the (smaller) 27?52 OASIS King-Sized, which does not require HE.  Both of these issues may be moot, however: 

As I'm doing my long-overdue mountain of laundry with this old (Top-Loading) Kenmore I had my maintenance guy pull from one of my rental units, I am alerted to an issue that had completely escaped my attention previously, and it's a big one:  CAT HAIR.

My old top-loading GE had a lint tray that sat atop the agitator.  I can't understate the value of a lint dish, particularly for multiple-cat owners who deal with the ongoing issue of cat hair.  Even now I am seriously considering buying a Roomba® (or other more sturdy) robotic vacuum cleaner because I have cat hair absolutely everywhere in my house — the kitchen, the bathroom, the living room . . . and you'd better believe my king-sized comforters.  It's on my clothes, my socks, my pants, my suits, my dresses.

This old Kenmore I'm using as I type has no lint tray; so the first thing I realized upon opening the lid to examine the progress of the wash was a thick film of cat hair, sitting on top of the suds.  I've been putting the loads through twice just to see if perhaps a second rinse can "fling" this stuff out with multiple spin cycles.  It does no good.  :yikes:  I always took this for granted, but of course now that I reflect upon how I've been doing laundry all these years I have always grabbed a big wad of cat hair from the lint tray before subjecting my freshly-washed laundry to the dryer.  Then there is gardening debris . . .

This issue is so significant that I don't want to bury it in this thread so I'll start a new one.  The absence of a lint tray nixes any interest I might have for a horizontal-axis machine.  The ability to wash my king-sized comforter in one of these units is dwarfed by this one feature, which will be central to every load of wash I do.  I can even go so far as to say that it renders moot the capacity of the machine — if I already know I'm going to need a lint tray, this will have to be the primary feature.  I'll still look for dials; I'll still try to get the capacity as large as I can; and I'll still hope for stainless-steel construction — but I have to be able to hand-pick out the residue from my loads. 

MISS CHIEVOUS

#26 Tronicsmasta

Tronicsmasta

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

I do not see any recall info on the Cabrio http://repair.whirlpool.com/...

I definatly have not seen any recall for the Oasis HE (Almost identical to Cabrio)

There is a difference between the Kenmore Oasis HE and the Kenmore Oasis... The HE is high efficiency and therefore does not have an agitator... The Oasis has an agitator that tends to get clothes wrapped around it... that can happen due to in correct load detection or water level... and it happens mostly because of the design of the rotor.

I still recommend the Oasis HE for your cat hair... You cant really do much about it lol... When using HE soap it doesnt suds up as much and may help with pumping out the cat hair... the other option you always have is to not have cats ;)

there is a screen/filter on the Oasis but its not accessable by consumers and its not for filtering hair; more for coins...

If you blow yourself off with a leaf blower then put your clothes in the washer then you may have a chance ;)

It is never a bad thing to leave it to the professionals. Inexperience can lead to more damage or risk of injury. You can always call A&E Factory Service (1-800-905-9505), Sears(1-800-469-4663), or local service man you can trust (servicemagic.com).

#27 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

[user=4044]Trying to help[/user] wrote:

No matter what you buy it will be different from your older unit.  Wash action, lint filtration (nothing made today filter's out lint like your old GE with the filter on top of the agitator did!) water amount and temp, soap usage etc.  Good luck in your search.  Let us know what you come up with!   

This is going to be your problem child.  There is no unit out there that will filter out the lint (or pet hair) like your old GE or an old 3 port pump on a Whirlpool or Kenmore.  It is one of the biggest complaints consumers have when they give up there old units.   
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#28 Tronicsmasta

Tronicsmasta

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:09 PM

No matter what you buy it will be different from your older unit.  Wash action, lint filtration (nothing made today filter's out lint like your old GE with the filter on top of the agitator did!) water amount and temp, soap usage etc.  Good luck in your search.  Let us know what you come up with!   

This is going to be your problem child.  There is no unit out there that will filter out the lint (or pet hair) like your old GE or an old 3 port pump on a Whirlpool or Kenmore.  It is one of the biggest complaints consumers have when they give up there old units.   

agreed...

#29 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

I thought we had nixed the idea of anything with an electronic control? That rules out any Fisher & Paykel or CabriOasis. They have more computing power then the Apollo 11 moon lander. And they hate high temps, voltage spikes and wet components.

The Staber is looking better and better for you in my book. Or another old GE filter-flo or a Maytag dependable care unit.

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#30 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

Hmm, just a thought, that may be dumber than the left foot boot... how differently are new and old agitators mounted? could the good ole lint catcher be mounted on a newer (not necessarily new) machine in any way?

Anyway, the top loaded agitator machine allows for one thing... after some wash time, you can stop the machine, skim the surface, and let it go on. I remember this being done often on our ollllld open top machine.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#31 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:51 AM

There are agitators in Whirlpool made direct drive washers that have a manual filter that is the top part and snaps onto the base, this filter would take the place of the dual action top part, might be able to ask about this, looks like a one piece agitator except the top part is fine white mesh screening and is removed to clean out after each cycle..perhaps Whirlpool would have a part number for this agitator, the base has to be able to accept the locking top part...

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#32 MISS CHIEVOUS

MISS CHIEVOUS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:02 AM

This is going to be your problem child.  There is no unit out there that will filter out the lint (or pet hair) like your old GE or an old 3 port pump on a Whirlpool or Kenmore.  It is one of the biggest complaints consumers have when they give up their old units.

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

OMG.  None?  Not a cheap unit?  Not an off-brand?  Not an expensive import?  You can't think of even one (new) top-loader with a filter?

If that is the case, I may have to completely change the way I planned to shop for my next machine and keep my eye peeled for a USED unitThank God for Craig's List!  I may be using this old Kenmore a lot longer than I would have preferred . . .

MISS CHIEVOUS

#33 mk1

mk1

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:35 AM

Does this apply to old Maytags as well re pet hair, etc?  I am not at home right now so I can't post the model # but my parent's Magtag which I now have is at least 20 years old. Mine is leaking again and I paid $130 or so last year to fix it. Not sure I want to spend the money on another repair.

#34 borgbike

borgbike

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:16 AM

Samurai Appliance Repair Man wrote:

Come watch the video.

I would but ~.mov appears to be a QuickTime extension.  Even after installing the viewer I get JAVA error messages. 

I have no idea why this wasn't produced in any of the more widely-distributed video formats (Media Viewer, Adobe Flash, Shockwave).  You would think the manufacturer would want this video to get the broadest circulation possible, given how they've made it impossible for most folks outside of Ohio to see this machine in person.  Vanity, thy name is STABER.

Someone posted the same vid on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/JeffFL

You gotta love JeffFL's other vids for their FL poetry. ;)

#35 Tronicsmasta

Tronicsmasta

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:07 PM

Kenmore Oasis HE or Whirlpool Cabrio HE :)

NOT Kenmore Oasis or Whirlpool Cabrio Agi :(

Haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics