Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

nzo012

Amana icemaker hollow cubes

6 posts in this topic

A couple of months ago I had a fill valve stick open so I replaced it. All has been well on that end. However, I noticed that I get quite a few more Hollow ice cubes, ever since I replaced it. I also thought the ice cubes may have been a little smaller than what I recalled before I replaced it. I removed the entire Icemaker and fill valve and took it to an appliance store to have them test it when the valve first acted up. The store kept the icemaker over a week and it seemed like they may have done a 5 minute check of it when I called to ask about it.

My Question is what could be adding the hollow ice? Did I re-install the maker where it was off level or would that even matter? Maybe the shop played with the water fill level adjustment and it's not filling the same as before? It is a amana icemaker from around 2000. It's not that big of a deal but it didnt' do that before. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The fill valve opens for a pre-determined amount of time according to the ice maker, usually about 8 seconds or so.  How much water goes into the ice maker mold in that time is how big the cubes are.  You are not getting enough water.  Either you have a bad fill valve, not enough water pressure to the valve, the thru tube is stopped up with ice, the water line is kinked or the ice maker is not giving enough time to the ice maker.  See if there is an adjustment screw on the ice maker head to adjust the time longer.  If you can catch the ice maker filling by hearing the water running, see if you can time it.

It fills for 6 seconds. There are 2 slot screws that are on the right side of the head. One on the top and one on the bottom. Do you know which one controls the water? How much would you need to turn it to add a couple of seconds to the fill time?

Thanks

I do not know which one for the Amana which is a Maytag made frig.  The W/P ones just have one on the side.  Someone else in here will know, so we will wait for further information..;)

I think I figured it out. On http://fixitnow.com/appliantology/typeoicemaker.htm They show some images of the types of modules and it looks like my Amana adjustment screw is on the side near the shut off arm. Not at all where I thought it was. They also mentioned that you should reset the fill level after a fill valve replacement, Which I didn't. When I get home I'll check it out and repost what I find.