Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

WhirlPool GSQ9364HQ0 - only agitates in one direction?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pcking

pcking

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

I've got a WhirlPool Gold Ultimate Care II Heavy Duty Super Capacity Plus QuietWash Top-loading washing machine, model #GSQ9364HQ0.  Bought around 5-7 years ago...

My wife tells me that the agitator no longer turns in both directions and that it winds up all the clothes and then starts bouncing around when it hits the spin cycle.  I am proud to say that I don't think I have ever used it and therefore cannot recall if it ever turned in both directions, so I'll have to assume she knows what she's talking about.  Now if you want to know about the snowblower, hedge cutters, lawnmower, weed-wacker, or edger I can give you an earful from lots of 1st hand experience...  :-)

I yanked the water feeds, the drain, and the power and turned the machine in it's side to visually inspect the coupler it it is entact and appears to be functional, although I did not disasseble it further - I did grab it and the little white tabs seem to be attached on both sides and the unit itself seems in good condition.

Assuming that it is good, why ELSE would the machine stop turning both ways (now only one way).  Perhaps the tranmission?  If so, is this worth servicing the tranny or should I just get a whole new one?

The tranny is about $125 and a new washer is at least $400 for something comparable, but before I start ripping it apart (or pay someone to do so) I wanted to get opinions on whether or not it is worth it, etc.

Thanks for any/all advice!

-Phil

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:12 AM

I know of no other reason for it to agitate in circles and not back and fourth except for a broken tranny...replacing it or the washer would be something you would need to decide....easy to replace however...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 pcking

pcking

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the super-prompt reply!!!

OK, so I guess I can try to get a tranny and toss it in...  a few more questions if you please...  :D

Should I swap the coupling at the same time since they seem prone to failure?

I guess the fix vs buy question boils down to whether or not the machine is known to have problems.  If I replace the trans and coupling, I am looking forward to another 5-7 years of trouble free operation or will I be taking this thing apart more often as other parts start to fail?

I know every machine is different, but in your opinion?

Also, it seems the top half of the transmission is what handles the agitation and it is sold seperately for a fraction of the tranmission price (which is more like $160, not $125 as I suspected). 

Is it worth it to try to service the trans or am I asking for trouble?

-Phil

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:38 AM

I would just replace the tranny and coupler while you are in there, remove the case, remove the agitator, take the motor/pump off of the tranny plate, remove three bolts,  slide the tranny out, slide the new one in...easy...

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

This is just one of my dumb ideas, but...

shouldn't the agitator top have the dogs for a "one way" mechanism, so it would rotate easier the other way when turned by hand?  so if the spin basket was turning when washing, this would possibly drag it along in one direction? If I understand anything about the sketches on the transmissions, the mechanism doesn't allow single direction motion of the agitator base at least.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:35 PM

Yes, the agitator will rotate with the clothes in the spin cycle, however I read it to say it was agitating just in one direction, not going back and fourth, and making the clothes wrap around the agitator so it went katty-wopper in spin...please correct me if I read the first posting wrong...

#7 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:55 PM

Yes of course, the basket would rotate in the opposite direction if the brake let it turn during agitation... and the free-wheeling allowed by the dogs would occur in the spin direction... so this won't explain...

Still I wonder, if I read the tranny sketches right, there's a reciprocating tooth rail driven by and excentric wheel, and the rail is always connected to the agitator shaft gear... never lets go so the only explanation I find would be that the dogs aren't grabbing as they should, or there's a lot of resistance from the load, and the top stops when it should move back...

Go figure, this style of machine is S.C.A.R.C.E. around here.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#8 pcking

pcking

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:52 PM

OK, a new tranny and coupler it is.

Thanks for the input and the education.

-Phil

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

Just in case I am wrong if it is ordered thru this site it can be returned if this turns out to not be the problem, less shipping both ways....to be sure I understand, when it should be agitating the whole agitator turns one way only, it does not go back and fourth...right??  The bottom part of the agitator....???

#10 pcking

pcking

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

Yes, you are correct - the agitator keeps turning in one direction, not bakc and forth...

I just got called out of town on business, so I may have to pay someone to do it.

At least it should be relatively inexpensive...  we'll see...

-Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics