LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

charging air conditioning units

denrayr

Hey I was wondering what methond you use for charging ac units. I do home appliances and any time we deal with sealed systems we weigh in the charge. I have been reading up on home ac units as I am thinking of branching into that line of work. I havent found a universal method of charging a system. What I have read says to measure evap inlet wet bulb temp and outdoor ambient temp. Then refer to the manufacturers chart to see what your superheat should be. But when you are working on older equipment the chart will most likely be gone. Is their a generic rule of thumb as far as what superheat and subcooling a system should have assuming indoor and outdoor coils are clean?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only universal method to be dead on is the weighing in of the charge.  There is always super heat, sub cool, and approach methods.  

Depending on the efficiency of the of the unit one can expect approximate condensing temperatures +/- 30 degrees above ambient air temps for standard efficiency and 20 degrees for high efficiency coils.  You can estimate by charging until the temp drop across a coil is +/- 20 degress.

In a worse case scenario you can charge until you are above 32 degrees saturation and below 42-40 degrees in the evaporator.  A sight glass can help to verify that  that there is at least one solid column of liquid to the expansion devise.

If you are dealing with the new ductless mini-splits out, you can all but throw out all of this information if the unit is directly metering from the condensing unit and not the air handler.

I am sure there are other old timer tricks out there; however, in this information age one can always make a call to the manufacturer and have a charging chart emailed.  Each situation is unique in its own right so there are too many vairables to definitively answer your question.

thanks for the reply. Do you think their is a company that has put together a book that lists the common manufactures and their approach charts? I think that would be a great tool to have for quick reference

There are several slide charts that are available for charging using indoor(return air) wet bulb temps, outdoor air temp and superheat measurements for fixed orfice/restrictors. I've used several (York,Trane, Carrier) and they all cross to very similar numbers.

Any system with a TXV is charged by measuring subcooling somewhat specific by make and manufacture. Most older systems were generally10'F subcooling at full load conditions.

Like dkpd1581 said use the manufacture charts when available.

68 PSI on the low side sir and back it up with a clamp on

make sure amp draw is not exceeded while charging.

nothing has changed

Archived