Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

dishwasher won't drain

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 princessannessa

princessannessa

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

My dishwasher recently decided to stop draining it has done this off and on for a few months, but now has completly stopped draining.  We have checked the hoses and they seem to be working fine, with nothing clogged.  We just unhooked it from the sink and the water still came out.  I have been just sucking the water out of the tub with a wet vaccum.  But i really need help.  Any advice?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:54 PM

Start with these pearls of wisdom in my enlightening tome on Dishwasher Drainology:

http://fixitnow.com/...-dishwasher.htm

Include your brand and model number:

http://fixitnow.com/...ommandments.htm

#3 princessannessa

princessannessa

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:45 PM

Im sorry for some reason it did not show up.  I have a kenmore 665.15705890 dishwasher.  I have been looking in past post trying to figure out my problem.  So tonight i tried running the last part of the cycle twice to see if it would drain and it drained it all.  I did take off the foot cover to listen, and it did sound alittle louder.  Im really bad at this kind of stuff but interested in learning.  So i read the article on draining problems.  Have no idea what a solenoid  or impeller is i have no book.  But i did blow like a fish till my cheeks hurt water does come out.  So Im stuck!!!   just trying to read as much as i can.  Oh and my water does go over the heateing element. Any Ideas or suggestions?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:00 AM

In your first post you said you checked the hoses and they were fine. Am I understanding you correctly that now you tried the blow test and the hose is apparently clogged? If so, make sure you were blowing from the dishwasher end of the hose toward the drain. If still clogged then, congratulations!-- you found the problem!

#5 princessannessa

princessannessa

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:17 AM

OK,no i blew from the drain to the dishwasher.  Why i don't know but i don't think its clogged anyway because the water did come out when dishwasher was on.  Ok i definantly owe you a beer just for reading my posts since your probably shaking you head in disbelief of how dumb i can be.  Sorry

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:45 AM

You're not dumb, you just didn't know. Ignorance is curable and is why the Samurai School is here; can't do anything for stupidity.

Since this is a Whirlpool-built dishwasher, let's jump right to a common troublemaker: the checkvalve.

#7 princessannessa

princessannessa

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:01 AM

I did it!!!  i fixed my dishwaher, thank you so much!!!!  I found a rusty tack(the joy of having 3 kids) And some other crap.  Yah!!!!  i still need to order some parts though.  Im gonna go look now.

#8 erockybalboa

erockybalboa

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

If it's a new installation, check to see if you have a food waste disposer installed in your sink and see if the knock-out plug in the disposer inlet has been removed. The knock-out plug must be removed before the dishwasher can drain.

On an older model, some state or local plumbing codes require the addition of a drain air gap between a built-in-dishwasher and the home drain system. If a drain is clogged, the drain air gap protects your dishwasher from water backing up into it. Check the drain air gap anytime your dishwasher isn't draining well. The drain air gap is usually located on top of the sink or countertop near the dishwasher. The air gap is an external plumbing device that is not part of your dishwasher. Follow the cleaning instructions provided by the manufacturer. With most types, you lift off the chrome cover. Unscrew the plastic cap. Then check for any soil build-up. Clean if necessary.

#9 Mofi

Mofi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:36 PM

I too had the slow of drain / 2x

the first time .. I blamed it an excessive "test" load of meatloaf and stuff / and after much bizaro attempts I guess I dislodged whatever was not draining

but eventually I got my slow drain back ... this time my wife threatened (and I was about to buy a new dishwasher) ... or look at the pump but as its a kenmore with that really hard to get to draining impeller and I knew I couldn't get to it without buying the tool ... I thought I'd just go look for the other possible solutions.

the checkvalve is an amazing thing ... it had a small almost ocean smoothed piece of glass and a little square of plastic in it (these were not supposed to be there)

thanks to you fixit samurai guru! I don't have to shell out $500-$1000 for a new one ... or spend a weekend with my elbows and head inside the old one (but I might be more inclined to do that if it comes to it in the future because me and the "old" ~4 yrs old machine are now such good buddies.

any matter now I can save my hard earned money for other necessities like taking the kids to Chuckie cheese (ha ha ha ... not a chance)

thanks again - hope to someday have to find another thing to fix and enjoy the advice and the enjoyable tone in which it is written.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics