Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung RS2534WW Doesn't run after power failure

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TLC917

TLC917

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

Got this fridge, pretty nice so far, but the thing doesn't run if the power goes off or it's unplugged, then plugged back in. (almost didn't put that part about plugging back in...knew somebody'd get me there, yes, I know it needs plugged in) How do I check what the problem is?

It was given to me, they said was broken (Main Board) but when I got it home and tinkered with it, voila! Started running. Just want to be at ease when we leave the house for a trip overnite or more. During the day, doesn't pose a problem since we know this and can easily reset the system.

What can I check and post to assist diagnosing this?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 TLC917

TLC917

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

I'm totally confused.....there's not one person that can help me with this refrigerator?

#3 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:34 PM

Some fridges have a delay of up to 30 minutes after power failure or short unplugging... this is to prevent restarting the compressor right away after stopping. If this is a longer delay than 30 minutes, or it never restarts without unplugging for a good while, then you might be dealing with a problem, probably with the control board. If it will eventually restart on its own, the delay is for its own protection.

This is of course just software engineered pllinkplonk that can go wrong... but I hate it when you have a tiny power glitch in the middle of the night, and the fridge goes BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG for a minute, then possibly again after it recovers from thermal overload. Have to get up, turn it off, babysit, try to restart... when you would have better things to do, like sleep.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#4 TLC917

TLC917

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:06 PM

Is there any diagnostics I can do to determine if it IS in fact the board? When the power comes back on, there's a flashing bar at the top-right of the right-hand numeric display. Hope that makes sense. The right display is for the Refrigerator and the left display is for the freezer.

I simply press and hold the top left and top right buttons (which are for the temp in each section) for about 5 seconds to reset. It's fine until the next power failure...and I don't want that when I'm on vacation.........

THANKS for your help!;)

#5 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

Well if it never restarts on its own, or it takes long, like several hours, it definitely can't be right.  If it after all restarts without tampering in half an hour or an hour maximum (unplug, replug, clock it) this is very probably an intentional delay. Still more than half an hour would seem excessive.

You could ask the shop where you got it, if they know about this. Well, if it was sears or another similar store, it is possible that the people there know nothng about it. Also check the manual if it mentions anything about such protection measure.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:15 AM

""there's a flashing bar at the top-right of the right-hand numeric display""

The location of this flashing bar, the exact location, tells you which sensor has failed in the frig,.   would need to know the exact location of this flashing bar...then I can do some research to tell us which sensor has failed...I cannot be sure this is your problem but might be worth looking into...if you were told the main board has failed you might end up replacing this also...

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 TLC917

TLC917

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

Ok, here's the best way I can think to illustrate the display.

On my SxS, there's the temp for the freezer on the left and the refrigerator on the right and this is above the ice/water dispenser on the left hand door for the freezer. If you look at the digital display of the fridge, the numbers look like 8's when not lit up (88) and the flashing bar is at the top of the single digit, not the ten's digit of the 8's.

In other places there are figures for the ice type, filter, yada, yada, yada. Should this not avail the needed understanding, let me know and I can cause the fault display to occur, then take a pic and send you.

Hope this gives you better insight to what I'm dealing with. THANKS Pegi!

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

If the flashing bar is the top of the right side 8 in the refrigerator side display this means the sensor is bad in the ice maker....if this is not the location of the blinking bar I miss-understood where this is located...

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#9 TLC917

TLC917

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:47 AM

Ok, the original issue was the unit would NOT turn on. ie, compressor would not run. If I unplug the unit, then plug back in, lights all work and there's a flashing bar on the LED display at the top of the "8" where the refrigerator temp is displayed. The ice chute makes a noise twice and then it sits there. SO, I ordered the Main PCB and changed that out, to no avail. Would it be the run capacitor? If I hold down the "Power Freeze" and "Power Cool" buttons for about 5sec, it starts up find, until unplugged or power goes off. It will, in one of ten times, re-start on it's own. Thanks for any help. Am wanting to get our nicer GE out of storage and sell this, but want it dependable before I do that. Not a junk dealer here. Besides, I can get more for it then.

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

This means a sensor/thermister has failed, frig will not run till this is replaced, need to find out which one is bad according to which bar is blinking in the display..believe if it is the top right bar it is the sensor in the ice maker, but you need to find that chart...

#11 TLC917

TLC917

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

;) Pegi, I think you're misundertanding my situation. I CAN make the fridge work. It won't self-start when plugged in. It works well and perfect, until the power goes off and then comes back on. I have to press those two buttons to clear and reset to 'turn it on'. Does this make sense to you? Apparently from your post, I've make it a confusing.  :?

I've never had a fridge that I had to turn on before. It's like components on a computer are "supposed" to be...plug-n-play. Plug it in, set the temp after 24 hrs and all is well. Turn it off? Unplug it or turn the temp to "Off". If the poower went off, it started back running when the lights did. Of course, this is the first 'digital' fridge I've had.

I was given this unit when a homeowner's warranty company called a tech out and it was "pronounced DOA" and the homeowner would have to wait another two weeks for the board, only after waiting three weeks at that point. He 'persuaded' them to send out a new fridge. I got it home and started messing with it and it started running....OH BOY!:yikes:That pretty much gives you all the history on my situation.

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:04 AM

Yes, looks like I was thinking of a different problem....so I do not know what is going on with this frig.....looks like putting it on a UPS would be an option till this is figured out...these Samsung units seem to be strange animals from what I have read....I will see if I can find out more info for you about this problem however..

#13 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:16 AM

This is out of a bulletin that includes your model number..

Unit does not work after a power failure

[align=left]SYMPTOM: Refrigerator is not working and one segment of the display is[/align]

[align=left]blinking.[/align]
REPAIR:
This can be caused by a poor connection or a part failure

[align=left]1. After a power failure, one segment (figure 1)[/align]

[align=left]is flashing. The exact segment that is[/align]

[align=left]flashing varies depending on the failed part.[/align]

[align=left]Table 1 shows the segment and the[/align]

[align=left]corresponding defective circuit.[/align]

[align=left]2. At the next power on cycle the unit[/align]

[align=left]automatically performs a self-diagnostic[/align]

[align=left]check. If an error is detected the defective[/align]

[align=left]circuit will be displayed on one segment of the[/align]

[align=left]seven segment displays.[/align]

[align=left]3. Use Table 1 to determine the defective circuit and[/align]

[align=left]correct the connection issue or repair the[/align]

[align=left]defective circuit.[/align]

[align=left]4. After repairing, reset the unit by pressing the[/align]

[align=left]Power freeze and Power Cool buttons[/align]
simultaneously until the chime sound is heard.

The chart will not copy-paste but depending on which segment is blinking indicates which sensor has failed, if it is the top horizontal bar on the food side display it says it is the ice maker sensor....this is the best I can do to help you, sounds like you need to replace the ice maker or ice maker sensor...I do not know if these are seperate parts or not...

#14 TLC917

TLC917

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:39 AM

Thanks. I'll get my Service Manual out and see if I can trace that down. Where did you get that SB? I downloaded all the shared files from the website and nothing in there about that Bulletin. I've spent HOURS trying to review and read the Service Manual and Installation Guide, thinking I missed "to start your refrigerator..." and nothing. I was getting a bit frustrated.....nah...A LOT :dude:.

Let me know if you come across any more info that might help....Merry Christmas!:cool:

#15 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:44 AM

It is on Service Tech Help, a paid membership tech only site so the data cannot be accessed by non-members, here is the bulletin number if it helps you find it, the Samurai might have it somewhere...

Refrigerator BULLETIN NUMBER: ASC20041012001 BULLETIN DATE: 10/12/2004

#16 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 03:50 AM

http://www.servicema...amsung_main.htm

select samsung, then refrigerator, then technical bulletin then put that bulletin number I gave you into the lit. number box and go....will bring up that one I referenced to...

#17 Econo Appliance

Econo Appliance

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

Hi guys,

Entire freezer temp # blinking.

Unplug and plug it in, it cools for one cycle then stops...

All help is appreciated!
Econo Appliance Service, Inc. - San Diego appliance repair since 1984

#18 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:48 PM

Look for chart on back of fridge (this may require a magnifying glass to decipher) - failures are inditated by which segments of display flash - one the failed input is repaired, unit should work beyond the cycle
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#19 Econo Appliance

Econo Appliance

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

but it's not a segment that blinks.

It's the whole number that blinks.

For example, if you set the freezer to -2, as soon as it stops cooling, the entire -2 will blink.

I just replaced both defrost thermistors, both temp sensors, as well as PCB and SAME THING!!!
Econo Appliance Service, Inc. - San Diego appliance repair since 1984

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics