Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MCD2257HES Refrigerator - fresh food freezing - PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rustyc

rustyc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

I have a Maytag MCD2257HES fridge we got about 2.5 yrs ago... 

One day I noticed everything was warm in both fridge and freezer - I looked at the temp control and found that both fridge and freezer showed (--) instead of 1-7.

I unplugged/plugged back in, put the fridge at 1, and things were working again...

That day, I opened the fridge and found EVERYTHING Frozen...  I put the fridge down to 1, and the freezer up to 7, and everything still kept freezing.  It started working normally for a few days, and then we left for the weekend and came back and found everything frozen again.

I put a digital kitchen thermometer, and at best I can keep the fridge around 28 degrees farenheit... it has been as low as 17.:yikes:

Any suggestions on what I should do to diagnose & fix the problem?  I've gone through $100's in produce now, and if at all possible I would like to fix myself and save the $100's I will pay a repairman.

Thanks in advance,

Rusty

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 blacken

blacken

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:22 AM

My guess would be that you need the electronic control seeing as how you have the -- readout (120021445) about $83

#3 rustyc

rustyc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:37 AM

Thanks Blacken...

The fridge only shows the -- when the fridge is set off... as soon as I push the up arrow, it shows 1, and the freezer shows the same setting it had previously (7).  It seems to me that the fridge just doesn't know when to shut off... I unplugged/replugged in and set the temp and it worked for a while, then everything froze in the fridge again (the temp control still only shows 1)...

So do you still think it is the control?

Thanks again,

Rusty

#4 blacken

blacken

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:55 AM

with that said, no not sure could be thermistor. would have to check trouble shooting guide that is probably in with the control if you cant find it anywhere else

#5 rustyc

rustyc

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:22 AM

I checked the troubleshooting guide before joining the forum... the only advice from Maytag was "check the temperature controls to be sure you did not accidentally change the settings"...  :X

Shouldn't the thermostat in the fridge know when to shut off?  Could it be something there?

Worst comes to worse I could always get a 25 year old $5 mercury AC thermostat and put it in the fridge, and run the power for the fridge to it... so when it gets to 34 degrees, the whole thing shuts off, and when it gets above 38 it turns back on! :D j/k

#6 AARDL

AARDL

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:PEPSI NEXT

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

I know this is an old post but I'm trying to find a teck manual for this same Mod # MCD2257HES

Any one have a down load I can get from you.

Thanks take care,

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,817 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

AARDL, post your request in the Service Manual Request forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics