Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

whirlpool washer- fills only, then it's dead

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_Need to do Laundry-Please help_*

Lurker_Need to do Laundry-Please help_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:20 AM

Ron, I will check the water level switch tonight and take your advice. i looked at the driver coupler and it is not broken or cracked, it spins the motor axle.i checked the water level switch for continuity and is ok. i had bought a new timer switch and the machine just fills with water, no agitation or spin cycles work. tested the door switch and that works properly.cleaned contacts on motor starter switch. could it possibly be the motor. i had bought the whirlpool washing machine in 2002, it will only be 3 years now that i had the machine. the start capacitor seems to be working also. twice after waiting overnight i manually put the machine on high spin and it pumped out the residual water. it no longer does anything but fill now. would you have any other ideas as to what the problem might be. thank you

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 06:33 AM

The only other thing right at this point is to make sure that motor harness is on correct.  Give that pressure switch test just like I said and see if it agitates.  Get a piece of hose around the same size and blow into that switch...If it agitates,  it's the switch.

#3 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:32 AM

[user=0]Need to do Laundry-Please help[/user] wrote:

could it possibly be the motor.

Could you "bench test" the motor alone to see whether it runs or not?

The Seven

#4 Lurker_Need to do laundry-please help_*

Lurker_Need to do laundry-please help_*

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:26 PM

in the process of bench testing outside the washer with the harness plugged in- we found an intermittent connection in the motor plug and also one in the timer switch plug.
thank you for leading us to the problem.
considering getting a new harness.

#5 Lurker_Need to do laundry-Please help_*

Lurker_Need to do laundry-Please help_*

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:28 PM

thank you Ron for your input and answering my post.
in the process of bench testing outside the washer with the harness plugged in- we found an intermittent connection in the motor plug and also one in the timer switch plug.
considering getting a new harness.

#6 Lurker_drcoon@comcast.net_*

Lurker_drcoon@comcast.net_*

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:24 AM

it is the lid switch. if it won't wash or spin or empty out. you can do two things. one is buy a new lid switch. but in time that will eventually go out on you again. Or you can hot wire the switch. find a cut the wires near the switch and connect the wires. make sure you tape them good. your washer should run like new. i work for whirlpool 

#7 XNSXMANNY

XNSXMANNY

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

if you work for whirlpool why would you be giving wrong advise like that then???????????

#8 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:16 PM

I agree with you xnsxmanny,  I don't think the Whirlpool fellow thought it out too well...Ron

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:59 PM

[user=0]drcoon@comcast.net[/user] wrote:

i work for whirlpool 

Like hell he does.  I know Whirlpool techs and they're all 1) technically very sharp and 2) literate.  This clown can't even punctuate correctly.  And a Whirlpool tech would never recommend by-passing a manufacturer's safety device that's there to keep his employer from getting their a$$ sued off by ninnies who stick their arm in a spinning washer basket.    

I bet that [user=0]drcoon@comcast.net[/user] is a stolen email address. 

He's outta here.  :rocketman:

#10 Lurker_SassyLillBittch_*

Lurker_SassyLillBittch_*

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:55 AM

oK.. i COULD CARE LESS where you guys work.. as long as I fix my washer I am happy. Would'nt you know it "broke down" 3 days after I bought a new dryer... ANyways, I have a Roper that fills and aggitates, but refuses to spin or drain. I hear the timer click twice then nadda after the aggitation cycle. I am trying to figure out how to determine wether its the pump(pump filter if there is one),door latch, orin the timer/motor... in the simplest and and most convienient order... Any advice on where to begin??? can I bypass the doork switch?.... Spanks... Lexi

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:37 AM

Hi, Beeotch.  The problem with your washer is the lid switch.

Whip it good! :whipit:

#12 Lurker_sassylilbittch_*

Lurker_sassylilbittch_*

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:33 AM

Wooohooo...the beotch did it... pissed off the hubby too... he couldn't even figure out how to get the casing off.... he thought the top" would just lift right off"!!!   I bipassed the doorswitch and boy the spin cycle feels great!!! oops works,,,hehehe.... I am feeling so froggy think I might fix my old dryer and refund my new one... I bipassed the thermal fuse on my crosley a yr ago.. it worked wonders... now no heat..... heater core needs replaced?   should I also replace the thermal fuse???  what do you think???  Lexi

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:02 AM

Way to whup up on that puppy!  Congrats on your washer repair... and showing hubby who's on top, eh hem.

Absolutely replace the thermal fuse on your dryer.  It's good you found the problem by jumpering it out, but don't run it like that for very long because it's an important safety feature to help keep your house from burning down. Ruin your whole day, dontcha know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics