Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Begin your journey to appliance repair mastery...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.

GE washer agitator dysfunction agitating

2 posts in this topic

Need help, just inherited this old space saver washer/dryer and the agitator does not spin.  I took off the cap and was able to pull the plastic agitator off of the transmission post.  Don't know the name of this part, but there is a metal piece that fits on the transmission shaft which grips the inside of the plastic agitator.  It has a star pattern which allows it to fit snuggly against the sides of the plastic agitator.  This metal star shaped piece however is spinning freely on the transmission post.  The transmission post is turning back and forth when the washer is on, but the star shaped metal sleeve is spinning freely, hence the agitator also spins freely.  I took the star shaped sleeve off of the post and it has a grey cement looking material in it, which is also all over the post. 

So after all that, my question is,  how does this star shaped sleeve which basically connects the transmission post (which appears to be working properly) to the plastic agitator, attach to the post.

The screw on top does not screw down all the way to make the sleeve snug.  Is that grey material some sort of glue that gave way or is it a lubricant and there is some other way of securing this sleeve to the post so that the agitator will move back and forth.  Appreciate the help!

Thank you,


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

That's the agitator coupler.  Various illustrated pearls of wisdom on this page about that.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites