Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Freezer Troubles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn_Johnson

Shawn_Johnson

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:52 AM

I have an Amana refrigerator, with the freezer on the bottom.  It is a Model BX21TL, Mfg No. P1196515WL that came with the house, so I really have no idea how old it is, other than to say I've been in the house 2.5 years. 

Just within the couple of weeks or so, we've been noticing that the freezer is not freezing things everywhere.  To make things a bit clearer, we noticed that some ice cream was really soft, as well as popsicles, etc.  So we did what everyone else does; we chalked it up to the warmer temperatures that we were having and cranked it up.  This alas, did not work.  The puzzling thing is that some things are frozen and some are not.  This is a two-shelf freezer, but there is no consistency as to what location frozen things are (maybe water content??)  Shrimp (bottom shelf) frozen, whereas bratwurst aren't.  On the top shelf, bread is not frozen, ice cream is soft, eye of round roast is frozen.

I have done a quick check of the door seals, as well as cleaned the front and back coils as good as we could.  The refigerator itself seems to be working fine - this seems specific to the freezer alone.  Is this perhaps an issue with the defroster??

Any help or guidance is appreciated!  I don't have a problem even calling a service tech in, but I'd like to know what to look for first!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

Check the condenser coil under the box to see if it is clogged, if so clean this coil.  Also see if there is any frost on the inside back panel inside of the freezer. If so this could indicate a defrost problem that needs to be addressed since the evaperator behind this wall could be clogged with ice.  Please return the controls back to the mid setting as this will tend to aggrivate any problems you many be having. Ice cream freezes at 10 degrees while other items will remain frozen at higher temperaturers, so this indicates your freezer is not reaching a cold enough reading.  Check the air vents that feed the cold air into the food compartment and also the return air vent from there to the freezer to be sure they are not blocked also.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Shawn_Johnson

Shawn_Johnson

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:47 PM

For what its worth, I did check all this out and made sure that they were all clean.  I finally called in a repairman, who was really nice and helpful, and told me that the refridgerator was at least 10 years old, and a goner.  He told me that I had 2-3 days to find a new one.  The temperature of the freezer was already at 25 F, so it wouldn't be too long before what we had would be a problem.

Needless to say, we replaced it Saturday.  Thanks for the initial checkup information, it was helpful!  It's good to know there is a place like this on the net for me to check things out before I call someone!

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

Welcome....;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Fox

Fox

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:07 AM

i'm having the same issue as Shawn_Johnson.  we have checked everything out as well.  I know mine refrigerator is only 6 years old.  I'm not sold on the idea that I have to repace it.  Any additional ideas?

#6 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:54 AM

With these Amana bottom mount freezers I have run into issues where the door wasnt always closed right and they have built up mass amounts of frost on the evaporator and on the sides of the evap is started turning more to ice ... at first it looks like there is a problem in the defrost cycle....  It was as easy as just clearing the evap and putting it back together that solves the problem.  With that fridge when ya slam the Refrig door like many kids do sometimes the air will slightly crack open the freezer door.... and ya start the problem again.... I also put a slight amount .... a thin coat of Vasoline on the door seal of the freezer to help it stay closed.... Dont know if anyone else has seen this but I have.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics