Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

R22 vs R410

sfwood

I have a 13 year old unit.  Now that I fixed the drain pan leak, it's running well.  (Air handler is in the attic) But I am trying to decide when (and if) to replace it.  I have heard some bad things about the new coolant R410.  And I have some questions.

1.  when are they going to stop selling R22? (I heard 2020)

2.  when are they going to stop making units that use R22 (I heard 2010)

3.  isn't there something called "new 22" that can be used to charge a freon unit if it needs it and they no longer make R22?

4.  my HVAC guy says the new coolant is crap, hard on the units, not as efficient as it's supposed to be, etc.  He won't put them in at this time unless customer insists.  Any thoughts?

5.  depending on the answers to the above questions. . . when to replace my 13 year old unit and with what?

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the newer units need new copper lines(different size) getting a new unit means getting a whole new unit inside and outside...I would keep that old unit as long as you can...because replacing that unit is gonna be costly...These newer 13 seer units are sposed to kick butt in the electric savings department...these new fangled appliances wth electric boards and such need to be tossed. I wish I had the money to build units like they had back in the day.

post-4554-129045096713_thumb.jpg

The cheapest quote I've gotten is $3900 for a complete new unit (air handler and outside unit).  That is for one that takes R22.  And another guy said they could use the lines i have if they put in a unit that uses R410.  I don't know.   Shoot.  Wanna buy a house? :)

Depending on how long you are planning to stay in the house, the question is truely "WHEN" - not "IF" - you are going to replace the unit.

I dont remember the exact dates; however, virgin R22 sales will be phased out.  To offset that fact, companies are reclaiming R22 and sending it off to be recycled.  Another company takes it, cleans it, recertifies it to be a certain level of purity, and then sells this back to the HVAC guys to used in R22 equipment.  This process is called banking.  An HVAC company "deposits" recovered refrigerant in the "bank" and the "dividend" is to be able to "withdraw" a product no longer available as new/virgin from the recycling company.

Most manufacturers have already stopped producing R22 units in the 10 SERE range and will probably continue for a short period producing in the 13+ SERE range (for as long as there is a market that is willing to pay and as long as they are within the Federal regulation).

"New 22" is most likely a refrigerant blend that is designed to mimick the qualities of the single chemical/real R22.  It is NOT R22.  Right now, these blends are more expensive than regular R22; however, the day will approach when R22 costs more and the hybrid blends will be the cheaper alternative to charging a unit.

If you look at literature from trade publications in the 60's, you will see comments and articles claming that a newly implimented refrigerant  is crap, inefficient, and that techs will never like it due to  the high pressures and  need  for better work practices.  This new refrigerant seemed unnecessary because the one it replaced was working just fine.  This New refrigerant was R22 and was replacing R12.  Now that R22 is the old tried/true/trusted standard and R410 is the new kid on the block, guys in the industry are going to resist the change.  Its a normal growing pain and is to be expected.  Like a bad burrito, this shall soon pass.

To answer the last question, put the money aside now ($10, $20, each week) and leave it alone.  That is $520 to $1,000+ in a year and that is one hell of a head start.  Its not "if" your unit will fail, it is "when".  At 13 years, your unit has served and average life cycle.  Yes, some last 25+ years,  but will yours is the question.

Be VERY careful in letting someone reuse your old lineset (copper) from the R22 unit.  The 22 and 410 use very different oils.  These oils dont play well together.  410 is very picky when it comes to installation, charging, lubricant, etc..  410 seperates the quality installers and techs from the half a$$ed shade tree good ole boys.  Good enough will no longer be good enough.  The old lineset will have to be THOUROUGHLY cleaned of the mineral or alkobenzene oil used by the 22.  If not, you will wish that you had spent the money on the new lineset - regardless of the cost.

Good luck

Archived