Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid Under Counter Ice Maker

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lesuk3

lesuk3

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:49 PM

I have an undercounter Kitchenaid Ice Maker...model KUIS15NRH SS.  The way it looks to me the water reservoir fills and then water starts to circulate over the freezing plate to create a sheet of ice.  When the proper thickness has been achieved, the ice sheet drops down to a heated grid which melts the sheet into cubes and drops into the bin.

The problem is, sometimes the ice sheet does not release from the freezing plate and a new cycle to create ice by recirculating water from the reservoir starts.  When the circulating water tries to go over the freezer plate, it hits the old ice sheet still on the freezer plate and the water dribbles down into the ice bin.  The water circulation pump continues to pump emptying the resivor because the  water went down into the ice bin.

Does it sound like a common problem?

I've cleaned the unit several times....we don't have real hard water.

I'm assuming the freezing plate has a control that heats up or turns off allowing the ice sheet to melt slightly thus slide down to the grid.  Could the problem be in the control of the freezing plate?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:40 AM

The problem will either be the hot gas solenoid valve or the evaporator thermistor (or thermostat on older units).  If the units fails to go into defrost, then the problem is the thermistor.  If it goes into defrost but it can't loosen the slab, replace the hot gas solenoid.

Posted Image
Hot gas defrost valve and the water inlet solenoid valve on a stand-alone ice machine.  Click for larger view.

#3 lesuk3

lesuk3

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:32 AM

Thanks Exalted One.... I think I'll go with the thermisor first...  I appreciate your feedback

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:28 PM

This 80 page manual on these ice machines from Whirlpool might address this problem....;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics