Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

lesuk3

Kitchenaid Under Counter Ice Maker

4 posts in this topic

I have an undercounter Kitchenaid Ice Maker...model KUIS15NRH SS.  The way it looks to me the water reservoir fills and then water starts to circulate over the freezing plate to create a sheet of ice.  When the proper thickness has been achieved, the ice sheet drops down to a heated grid which melts the sheet into cubes and drops into the bin.

The problem is, sometimes the ice sheet does not release from the freezing plate and a new cycle to create ice by recirculating water from the reservoir starts.  When the circulating water tries to go over the freezer plate, it hits the old ice sheet still on the freezer plate and the water dribbles down into the ice bin.  The water circulation pump continues to pump emptying the resivor because the  water went down into the ice bin.

Does it sound like a common problem?

I've cleaned the unit several times....we don't have real hard water.

I'm assuming the freezing plate has a control that heats up or turns off allowing the ice sheet to melt slightly thus slide down to the grid.  Could the problem be in the control of the freezing plate?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

The problem will either be the hot gas solenoid valve or the evaporator thermistor (or thermostat on older units).  If the units fails to go into defrost, then the problem is the thermistor.  If it goes into defrost but it can't loosen the slab, replace the hot gas solenoid.

100_0252-2005.06.16-19.05.27.jpg

Hot gas defrost valve and the water inlet solenoid valve on a stand-alone ice machine.  Click for larger view.

Thanks Exalted One.... I think I'll go with the thermisor first...  I appreciate your feedback

This 80 page manual on these ice machines from Whirlpool might address this problem....;)