Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Tired of guessing on service calls?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
kingm

Older GE DIshwasher (GSD500) not washing or draining

4 posts in this topic

The timer seems to operate just fine. The unit fills with water but when it comes time for the wash to begin, it just hums for 30 seconds or so. It also hums when it is supposed to drain but does not. The wash arm spins freely. I suspect this is a motor issue. What can be checked and or done short of having to replace the motor. If it is the motor, could you reccommend a replacement model as replacing the motor on this old a unit is cost prohivitive. Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

After removing the toe panel see if you can reach in and turn the blade between the pump and motor, something may have it jammed up. Have the power off when you do this.   If it is not jammed, or if it is and you cannot unjam this, probably will want to replace the unit.

GE-dishwashermotor.jpg?dc=4675453958852595049

Thanks a bunch. The blade appeared to turn freely, but when I gave the unit another try anyway, it took off running. It looks like I got at least some more life out of this appliance.