Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
kronx

Maytag A108 (very old) agitator problems

3 posts in this topic

I have a very old (probably 70's) Maytag 108 Washer and am having problems with the agitator.  It starts off agitating fine, then slowly the inside tub starts spinning more and more each agitation until the whole thing just starts spinning.  Then the water starts sloshing out the top.  I replaced the belts cause they were old, but that didn't help.  Any ideas?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

sounds like the brake may be jammed up- this is a wet brake and requires some oil in it- you'll have to lay the machine on its back, remove belts and the large drive pulley in the centre- you will see a concave shaped object which is the brake- in the centre of it there is a lip which joins the inner and outer parts of the brake. use a zoom spout oiler(20w non detergent oil) to squirt some oil over the top lip of the outside part so that it runs down between the 2 shells(couple of tablespoons). then reinstall pulley and work it in both directions. this may free up the brake so you can continue to use the machine.

I took of the large drive pulley and oiled the brake, but I'm not sure how to put the pulley back on.  There is a small metal piece that screws over the center of the pulley and has a metal tab to stop the pulley from turning.  Is there any special position that this should be in in relation to the pulley?