Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer, spin problem, dummy needs help

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bonesy

Bonesy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:21 AM

I have a GE profile top loader washer that is making some strange noises during the spin only cycle. My wife says that after the cycle is complete, the clothes are damper than usual. The sound the washer makes is like a hammering of metal on metal but maybe with a wrench instead of a hammer. When I lift the lid as this is occurring, there is some spinning. But after a short time there is no more spinning
and just a humming noise. This washer is about 4 1/2 years old so blockage, cloggage and who knows what could have happened in that time. I tried to take the front panel off, but it wouldn't budge. There is 4 screws on the top panel that wouldn't move with a standard phillips head. Am I simply better off getting some GE guy in here to rip me off?

Thanks for reading.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:30 AM

Sounds like you might have a transmission problem, this tranny has a 5 year warranty...  do not understand the comment about..."""Am I simply better off getting some GE guy in here to rip me off?""""  I really do not believe any techs here in this forum is out to rip you off....I really hope I am not reading the meaning of this correctly

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:30 AM

Posted Image

Front comes off like this. Insert putty knife between the top and front where you see the slots above.

Look inside, tell us what you see/hear/smell.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:34 AM

Pegi, I think he meant "in here" as "into his house", rather than HERE:shock:. As you'll see, I've posted a picture to help get it open, my suspicions are the same as yours given prior experience.

But, of course, GE "haven't had a single failure of the redesigned transmission reported" according to the green instruction sheet that comes with them.

:laffinatchoo::laffinatchoo::laffinatchoo:

#5 Bonesy

Bonesy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:41 AM

I pulled the cover off and ran the Spin Only cycle again. I didnt notice anything except the klackety-klack sound. After about 45 seconds, the drive belt stopped and the sound stopped except for this humming which I assumed was coming from this little fan in the lower right corner of the unit.

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:46 AM

Nope, no tranny failures here!!!   Good, what he said makes more sense what with getting a tech to come to his home....could read it either way...;)  However, I still do not like the "rip you off" comment since this statement refers to me and my business as well as yours and all the hard working techs out there and in here helping people answer their questions.  If it is the tranny he will still have to have that G.E. tech come to his home and pay him the service call and labor to replace this tranny....How do we get this negative cloud cast over our heads when all we do is get paid for making their problems go away....sigh.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#7 Bonesy

Bonesy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the replies, but if there is no tranny problem then why am I getting a tech to my house to replace it? Should I have someone stop by to look at it? It seems from the comments that this is far over my head and that is probably what I'll have to do.

"Here" was in fact my house. My comment came out overly cynical. I have never been "ripped off" per se by a tech. This problem is simply occurring at a bad time for me. I can see this running into the hundreds of dollars with labor and parts. Is it simpler to replace the whole thing?

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:14 AM

We were being "sarcastic" about no tranny problems, these washers have transmission problems, however this does not mean yours is bad.  You could take the belt off of the transmission and see if the noise is still there as these motor/clutch assys. also have problems.  If the motor runs fine with the noise gone and the pump/motor  on the bottom/right runs ok, then you have to suspect all is left is the transmission.  You could see what your local G. E auth. shop charges to replace this if it is the tranny.  since it has this 5 year warranty.  If it is the motor, well that would be quite expensive and I would use that money to go buy a nice Whirlpool/Roper/Estate Direct Drive, the simpler the better, less to break.

#9 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:15 AM

OK..here's the deal. The "little fan" unit is the pump, it should be running. Can you re-check where the humming comes from? It may well be that the transmission is locking up and stopping the motor (these transmissions are notorious for brake problems). You can also unhook the belt from the motor and see if the problem persists. Oh, also check for any signs of oil/water inside the cabinet, it may be splattered on the sides. Let us know what you see.

If this is a transmission issue, there is a 5 year part-only warranty - labour charge from GE will run $150-200, at a guess. Sad to say, this machine gives a lot of this type of problem. Your decision is whether to accept the charge, with the possibility of the same thing or something else going wrong later, or start afresh. Personally, I'd junk it, but its your call.

#10 Bonesy

Bonesy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

I saw no evidence of oil or water at all. Once again the spin halted after about 45 seconds, I listened and the pump was making some light noise I guess as expected. I put my ear near the transmission and I think I could hear some light humming and then the spinning started up again on its own. Strange. What is accounting for the klackety klack sound? Is the fact that the spin cycle stopped and restarted a sign of locking up?

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:50 AM

Remove the belt from the transmission to see if the noise is from the motor/clutch or the transmission.

#12 Bonesy

Bonesy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

I just tried it again and got a burning smell. Thanks a lot for the timely responses. I think I need to get a pro in here now.

#13 Bonesy

Bonesy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

BTW, I meant a pro at "home" not here. I know you are all pros here.

#14 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:47 AM

Is it an electrical smell or a rubber smell??/  MIght be the belt burning??  Electrical might be the motor getting ready to flame out. .  Thanks for the Pros Here compliment.

#15 Bonesy

Bonesy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for all the timely responses. I brought a tech in here today and he said that we should change the speed from gentle slow to gentle fast. That some rubbing between the two may have caused the burning smell. Whatever that means. This was relayed to me by my wife so I may sound absurd.
The washer seems fine for now. Unclear what will happend when we do about 50 loads this weekend.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics