Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samurai, With "SnapShots" this forum is *(&#@#* to surf around

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

Please, I BEG YOU!!!! Samurai, remove this garbage piece of add-on software, "SnapShots", from the forum.

It is totally useless and totally locks up and hangs my browser. I see absolutely no good qualities in it, usually when it even worked kind of you would only see a top part of the first page of the site anyway which really had no helpful info.

When you first added it, I noticed many surfing problems. Then you removed it and all was good again. Now, you've put it back again and the surfing experience trying to move around this site is #*(&*&#@.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:11 AM

Another vote against SS. It doesn't lock me up but I see no usefulness in it, just a complete waste of time.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 Lurker__*

Lurker__*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:14 AM

It has been working ok for me.

It is kind of cool, but sometime I will be trying to read something and my mouse will end up over a link and then that darn window pops up and blocks what I was reading, lol.. :)

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:23 PM

Ok, since Samurai ignored me I had to hack the forum and take that *#@$!$ SnapShots out myself, (just for me though - noone else)!!!!!!!!!

Just kiding on hacking the forum, but YES, I did take care of the problem and no more SnapShots and hanging forum for me......

Here's how if anyone else needs the info:
Edit your "HOSTS" file - in WinXP you will find it here:
C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32DRIVERSETChosts
In other version of windows just do a search for "hosts", you should find it somewhere in the windowssystem or system32 folders, I believe.

There is no .ext on the hosts file, just open it in notepad and edit it.

I added these two lines:
127.0.0.1 server.iad.liveperson.net
127.0.0.1 shots.snap.com

The first one because the pages never finished loading when trying to access servier.iad.liveperson.net but to remove just SnapShots you should only need the 2nd line.

You can do this for any websites, such as ad banner servers to keep then from loading ads that slow down your browsing.

If you don't find a file just name "HOSTS" with no extension but do find one named "HOSTS.SAM" that would be a sample hosts file, just copy it to hosts or rename it and add the lines you want.

Anytime your browser looks for a website it first goes to your hosts file to see if what you are looking for is there then routes to the address given. If the browser doesn't find the URL in the hosts file then it goes out the the DNS server to look for the actual # address of the URL specified.

127.0.0.1 is always your computer so when you put that before a website address in the host file, your browser looks on your computer instead of the internet for the website and when it doesn't find it it just moves on.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics