Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Refrigerator not staying cool

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmcs_patterson

cmcs_patterson

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:53 PM

my refrigerator cools until the freezer freezes up.  as soon as i defrost it (Manually) it will work for a few weeks before the freezer freezes up once again.  any help with this is appreciated.

GE   model # GSS25JFMD WW  side by side

Thanks,

Jerry Patterson

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 JeepMaker

JeepMaker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

Based on experiance I'd say it's the defrost heater. Take everything out of the freezer, remove the 4 screws holding the back cover in place. Now you can see the evap. coils and so forth. The heater, if it's in the same place as my similar model,(gss22jemc) will be at the bottom. It is held in place with 2 screws and has a wire plugged in at each end. Test it with an ohm meter and if you get resistance it's good, if not it's bad. The heater costs about 30.00.

#3 yambag

yambag

IkkĊ-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:17 PM

In my years of exp,the termonator splits apart causing the heater not to go on.If you have no meter to check the heater you can jump out the termonater and click the defrost timer into defrost cycle,If the heater is good then change the timer and termonater.

#4 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:16 PM

On this model there is no defrost timer to click.   The defrost is controlled by the main board located in the back.  Like Jeepmaker said,  you could have a bad defrost heater.   You can send power power directly to this heater by jumping line 1 to defrost...J-11 to J-9 and see if the heater comes on or if you have power to the heater....Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics