Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fisher and Paykel MW511 Washing machine

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BHC

BHC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:13 AM

Hi all.

Hoping someone here can help me out...

Last night  sometime my machine started beeping every second, the third and fourth lights in the wash progress indicators are on, as well as the spin cycle light. The machine will not function at all - it just keeps beeping at me. I have tried turning off at the wall for a few minutes with no joy.

It's kind of got me flummoxed as the machine was not in use at the time, it has just happened out of the blue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

BHC

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:25 AM

It sounds to me like one of the inlet valves/water solenoids is faulty.  Remove the lid and top console and check the inlet valves with a multimeter, they should read about 65 ohms.  If this is not do-able, then press and hold wash temp down button, then press power, and then release both.  Press the wash temp up button, the hot valve should let water into the W/M ( assuming you have water coming out the W/M end of the hoses ) , now try wash temp down, the cold valve should come on.  Whichever one doesnt let water in, is faulty, and I suspect , with the light display it is the cold valve.

Hope this helps;).

please help us to help you, http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 BHC

BHC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:01 AM

Hi Kiwi, thanks for the reply.

I am about to leave for a week of gem fossicking, so will try it when I get back and let you know how it goes.

Cheers

BHC

#4 BHC

BHC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:04 AM

Gday Kiwi.

Got home a few days early.

OK I checked the ohms and got 60.8 for the cold and 61.5 for the hot.

I tried the other test and got no water from either - the test may be unreliable because as soon as there is power to the machine it starts beeping, and when I press buttons it just keeps beeping - so I turn off the power at the wall hold the temp down button switch on the power socket and then press the power button, this gives me the following light pattern (see image) after which I did the test and no water flowed from either inlet.

Any ideas?

Cheers

BHC

Edit: If you want any more pics with what lights are showing let me know.

Attached Files

#5 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:53 AM

The resistances for the valves look ok.  You could try turning power off, and remove all plgs and then refit and try again.  Was it doing the beeping thing before hand?  and when you first turn on the power which lights come on?

#6 BHC

BHC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:56 AM

Hi again Kiwi.

OK have removed all electrical plugs I can access and re-attached, have removed hoses from machine and re-attached, have unplugged plug from wall for a few minutes - no joy with any of these.

Yes it was beeping from the start, once every second.

Have attached a pic of what lights come on when the machine is switched on at the wall.

Thanks for the help. Cheers

BHC

Attached Files

#7 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:55 AM

The lights indicate the cold valve is faulty, but the the resistance says otherwise.  You could swap the hot and cold valve plugs over and see if this makes a difference.  If the valve is faulty then the lights should change to 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0.  The only other thing that could be a fault is the control board which is likely due to the correct resistance readings - MC P/n 420376p. 

#8 BHC

BHC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:04 PM

I tried switching the valves over and got the same light indicators.

When you say the control board - do you mean the motor controller or something else?

Cheers

BHC

#9 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:56 PM

Yes, the motor controller.  It has so many different names depending on where you live.  I am almost positive that this is the problem.:(

#10 BHC

BHC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:29 PM

Gday Kiwi.

I bought a new motor controller and installed it today, cost me $195 (gulp) - just doing a load of washing now, everything seems to be running fine.

Thanks very much for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

BHC

#11 Kiwi-nadian

Kiwi-nadian

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:34 PM

No worries;).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics