Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

lefty08

Kenmore Refrig/freezer no ice from ice maker

13 posts in this topic

Ice maker stopped making ice.  Still goes through cycle but no water in tray.  I was able to check for voltage at the water valve during a cycle and got 120v ac for about 3 seconds.  That was with the wiring harness pulled off the valve contacts.  Tried to back probe the contacts with connector attached to water valve but didn't want to wait until next cycle.  Checked water supply to valve checked good.  Cleaned filter screen (wasn't that bad).  Is there a way to initiate a cycle so I can monitor the voltage at the water valve and check for water flow??  I also pulled the hose from valve to ice maker.  It was not frozen or kinked.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

This is a Frigidaire frig. with the Kenmore name on it , and i am not sure how to start a cycle with this brand.  but would suspect the fill time should be longer, around 8 seconds, how much water comes thru the fill valve in the fill time is how much water you get.  I would try to see if the time is too short. If it is fine would suspect your fill valve is going bad internally, not letting enough water thru in the time alloted.  Perhaps someone else who knows the Frigidaire ice makers can tell you if there is a way to start a harvest cycle.

Thanks for the quick response Pegi.  Would it be ok  to just jump 120 ac to the valve contacts to check for water flow. 

Look on the water valve to see what voltage it is, if it 120 volts, make you a test cord and remove the water line to the fill tube on the back to set into a bucket or something and plug it in to see if you are getting a good strong water flow.  If it just wimps out and sputters,  replace the valve.  Also make sure the fill tube to the ice maker is not clogged with ice, it will do this if the fill valve is going bad.

Thanks again,  Yes the vavle is rated for 120v ac 60hz  20 watts.  Will try a jumper wire and check flow.  Let you know what I find.

Update..  I jumped 120v ac to water valve contacts and for about 5 seconds no water just a slight hummm.  Then the valve opened and I got about 2 cups of water in about 20 seconds.  Re connected the water valve harness connector, dropped the shut off arm (had it up overnight) and has able to back probe the water valve contacts during a harvest cycle.  After ejector rotated I got 120v ac at the water valve contacts for about 8 seconds, like you stated above, but the water valve just hummed.  No water output through the hose.  Looks like a new water valve should fix my problem.   Let me know if you agree and thanks again Pegi for your assistance.                                                    

When you take the cover off of the ice maker head, are there 2 gears, one larger in the middle and a smaller on on the left??  Looks like this in the breakdown.  Or is there one big gear that says, do not turn manually??  Yes the fill valve is toast, that is your problem!!!  :P

There are two gears.  One large gear in the center and a smaller gear to the left.

ok, old style whirlpool IM, you can take a small scrwdriver and turn the small gear to the left to start the ice maker running, turn till you hear a faint click and the gears start turning by themselves.  Or you can just grab the rake and pull it toward the right till it starts running by itself to start a harvest cycle. Yes the fill valve is toast, that is your problem!!! 

Thanks for the info. on starting the harvest cycle.  Will replace the valve.  ;)

Quite welcome.....;)

Just thought I would finish out this thread with a final update.  Replaced the water valve $34.00.   Ice maker working great!!  Anyone for a frozen margarita ?!?!  Life is good!!  :P   Thanks again Pegi and have a great 4th of July!!

Thanks Lefty, and you are very welcome....;)